Mail Attachments

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the Mac world, so far I like it but I have a problem I cant seem to resolve. I want to send attachments on e-mails, but I want them as attachments not part of the main message, I have tried JPEG and it doesn't work. I have sent a .doc without problems. What am I doing wrong please, it's driving me crazy!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I believe depending on the other person's mail program and settings, it may just show up as an attachment, sort of like with Gmail and Outlook. I THINK it only looks embedded on your end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Attachments as Icons

Hi I'm new to the Mac world, so far I like it but I have a problem I cant seem to resolve. I want to send attachments on e-mails, but I want them as attachments not part of the main message, I have tried JPEG and it doesn't work. I have sent a .doc without problems. What am I doing wrong please, it's driving me crazy!!!

When you compose an email with an attachment and it is showing as the complete image, just "Right Click" or "Option Click" the attachment, and you will be presented with the Option Menu, then just select "View Icon".

Unfortunately sometimes the default is the "View in Place" option and like yourself I prefer to send the attachment with just the icon showing.

Hope that helps.
David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Consider Attachment Tamer by Lokiware. Great little add on. Makes Mail work the way it should.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for trying to help me but could you please explain in a little more detail!!! I must be more stupid than usual but I don't understand what you mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
If you are directed that last post at me all I can say is that Mail does not handle attachments nearly as well as Outlook in my opinion and if you buy the program I suggest it will solve all the problems and issues you are having trouble with and enable you to send attachments in the same way you do in Outlook and most windows based e mail programs. Good luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have Outlook but it doesn't work, I contacted the SP because I thought I had the settings wrong, but I didn't so it's a total mystery why it doesn't work. I can see on these forums that other people are having the same problem, so as I need my e-mail for work I'll have to continue using the Mail programme on here. Maybe when I get half an hour to sit and look through things I'll see something obviousl!! Thank you so much for trying to help me I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Consider that there are benefits associated with using Mail v. Outlook on a mac system anyway. Some stick with Outlook after they make the switch to mac. Others, like me, use Mail instead of Outlook. I am very happy with Mail and I feel no need to run Outlook although I do have it on my machine. Attachments is one area where Mail is a little lack luster but with the addition of Attachment Tamer (easy download) that issue is solved. In general, I have bought into the idea that unless absolutely necessary for some reason it is best to use the mac native programs instead of bringing in programs originally designed for windows and adapted. The one exception I make is that I do use MS Word (the mac version) but I am even considering whether that is really necessary. The only reason I use Word is because I have to use Word at work and I often create or edit the documents on my mac machine at home as well and it is trouble free.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'll have to have a look at the Attachment Tamer, I send mails with a lot of attachments that the recipients need to be able to print as single documents. I agree I am adapting to the new programmes on here, I have Office Pro for Mac which I'm happy with and need especially sending documents between machines. Once again thank you for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.