newbie question

X

xxTHEOAKxx

how do i handle a dmg file....i download it and cant get it to open correctly...when i click on it i get the rectangle temp folder and when i drag the contents from that folder to the applications folder it decompresses there but the file just looks like a piece of paper icon...any help appreciated....

btw this is a backup copy that i have of one i bought.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
what was the dmg for?

Reaction score
DMG Files are Disc Images, or Virtual Drives, if you will.

Like any Disc, say, a CD, USB Stick, iPod or a Floppy, it has to be mounted to the OS. Now DMG files are the same, just virtual. So when double clicking, it should mount and appear on the Desktop as a Disc you just attached.

Seems your DMG file is corrupted though... or it is not a native OSX app, i'm not to sure about how things were back with OS 9 ... some veteran should help you here..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If the file just say "Virtual PC" then try changing it to "Virtual PC.app" and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
yogi said:
Seems your DMG file is corrupted though...

Exactly. Sounds like the hacked copy you downloaded was corrupt.
I would suggest that if you really need to use Virtual PC, then you should just purchase the retail version.
Outside of that, it would probably be even more sensible to just use a Windows box for your PC needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.