Onyx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
Per recommendation: Installed!

Yikes!!

There are lots of choices and parameters.

Is there a tutorial about the hows and whens of Onyx?

I have it sitting in the Dock; however, unlike other Apps, unless I minimize Onyx it quits!

Is it a program that you keep running in the background or something that you remember to use on a regular basis?

To what extent can you set it to "do" you system automatically and what do you want to "do"?

Thanks,

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The simple route is to run it every once in a while. I like to run it every few weeks but the choice is entirely up to you. As for running it, if you stick with the defaults in the Automation tab, you should be fine.

OP
Luvntravln
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
The simple route is to run it every once in a while. I like to run it every few weeks but the choice is entirely up to you. As for running it, if you stick with the defaults in the Automation tab, you should be fine.

Thanks,

Does that mean you do not use all of the rest of the Apps abilities, or is that your recommendation to a new switcher?

Onyx have a lot more "stuff" that one could Execute at perhaps a significant cost. :Grimmace:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I run it perhaps once every 2-4 months. When I start noticing a little slow down in the system - bouncing beach ball I hadn't seen before, that sort of thing.

Typically recommend starting off just using the Automation tab and checking everything under Cleaning and Maintenance - nothing in the Rebuild category unless you're experiencing specific problems.

And then just have a browse around it when you have time to check out it's other features.

Reaction score
Seeing as you've never used OnyX before, I would only recommend using the Automation tab.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.