mail on dock

Reaction score
Hi:
I get lots of emails and they fill up my dock with mail message icons. When I close the mail program, they reappear when I open it again. I don't need them there and they just diminish the display size for all the icons.
thanks,

M

MacInWin

Close the messages and the icons should go away. Or drag them into the desktop and they should go poof.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What version of OS X and Mail is this? On my iMac running 10.8.2, I keep Mac Mail running all the time and I just get a small badge in the corner with a number indicating the number of unread messages..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
running 10.8.2, I keep Mac Mail running all the time and I just get a small badge in the corner with a number indicating the number of unread messages..

I second that on my Macbook, just a small red badge with number of unread emails.

C

chas_m

oldscribe, razoredge: you guys aren't "hiding" messages like this guy is (the yellow button) to get them "out of the way" and then forgetting to bring them back up and close them properly like he is. That's the problem.

It's rooting in the practice of opening every message in its own window by double-clicking it, which isn't necessary but a lot of people don't know that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have one of those at work chas. Using Outlook, even where you can see the entire message already and using a 24" screen, he still double clicks and brings every single message up in it's own window which then has to be closed or minimized to see the next message.

Even when he's not going to read it, just print it - he insists on opening it's own window before clicking the print button.

OP
D
Reaction score
mail message icons

oldscribe, razoredge: you guys aren't "hiding" messages like this guy is (the yellow button) to get them "out of the way" and then forgetting to bring them back up and close them properly like he is. That's the problem.

It's rooting in the practice of opening every message in its own window by double-clicking it, which isn't necessary but a lot of people don't know that.

You are so right. Thanks your sage advice. Problem solved with many thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.