Installing updates

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Air 11"
Hi everyone,

I've just taken delivery of my new Mac Air 11" (beautiful) but am having trouble installing updates.

They download OK and then I restart as instructed, but after a while I get a window to the effect that :-

"None of the selected updates could be installed"

"An unexpected error occurred"

I've tried three times but same result each time.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Sid

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you downloading and installing the updates using an admin account? If you are, reboot your MBA to the recovery partition: (hold down command + r keys when you hear the bong! sound) once in recovery, select Disk Utility. Click on repair permissions. After that finishes, reboot back to Mountain Lion. Try downloading and installing the updates once more.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Air 11"
Are you downloading and installing the updates using an admin account? If you are, reboot your MBA to the recovery partition: (hold down command + r keys when you hear the bong! sound) once in recovery, select Disk Utility. Click on repair permissions. After that finishes, reboot back to Mountain Lion. Try downloading and installing the updates once more.

Hi chscaq,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Well, I'm not quite sure if I'm using an admin account or not. I just set up my new account and proceeded to try and download the updates. So how do I find out?

Also, I don't know what "your MBA" is. (remember, I'm new to Mac, so will require guidance all the way!!

Sincerely

Sid

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're probably using an admin account if you just set it up. (The default is an admin account.)

MBA = MacBook Air

Tell us which updates you downloaded. You mentioned "restart", but normally the only time a restart is needed is if system files are updated as they can not be updated at the same time the system is active.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

There was a MBA EFI Firmware and SMC update on or around the 19th Sep, or your back to July I think.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Air 11"
You're probably using an admin account if you just set it up. (The default is an admin account.)

MBA = MacBook Air

Tell us which updates you downloaded. You mentioned "restart", but normally the only time a restart is needed is if system files are updated as they can not be updated at the same time the system is active.

The downloaded updates were :-

MacAir V1
Macosx Update
Itunes V107
Remote desktop 3.6.1
Flashback malware &
Removal tool V1.0

Strangely enough, I reran them and they updates OK, so all is good!

Also, after each update it did ask me to restart.

So, for the moment all is good, thank you all for your assistance.

Sid

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.