Searching content in PDF files by directory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.53GHz
Hi have just moved to Mac and am getting most things up to speed.

But in Windows I used FoxitReader search facility that allowed searching of a string of text in pdfs by directory. I have hundreds of pdf files in directories by year. FoxitReader was so cool that it rremembered my directories.

Is there something for the Mac that allows this super searching functionality.
Thanks

C

chas_m

Yes, it's built in. Open any directory (we call them "folders" on the Mac), hit command-F and you'll see it is ready to search that directory for whatever phrase you are looking for.

Reaction score
Also in the View menu check "Show Path Bar". That way, no matter where your search starts, when you click on a result, it'll show you where it's at on the bottom of the window.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.53GHz
Hi and thanks for this note, if the search facility had search by case sensitive or whole words only functionality it would be brilliant, but looks like I will just have to work harder and not smarter at finding strings of text.

BTW the essay will be a great starting point too. I really like your ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The best search for PDFs that I have found has been with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Adobe - Adobe Reader : For Macintosh
Edit -> advanced find (cmd-shift-f) will open a find window where you can set search criteria like search in directories, local disk, etc - as well as case sensitivity and whole word search.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.53GHz
The best search for PDFs that I have found has been with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Adobe - Adobe Reader : For Macintosh
Edit -> advanced find (cmd-shift-f) will open a find window where you can set search criteria like search in directories, local disk, etc - as well as case sensitivity and whole word search.

Thanks for this tip as EasyFind had been tried but was not suitable.

Have avoided AR on the PC as it was too memory intensive.

But on the Mac it searches inside folders and provides the ability to click on the exact reference(s) in the PDFs. Will continue to use this program for pdf searching.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.