How do I edit Mac OSX addresses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5, ML 10.8.2, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD
Imac 21.5", Mountain Lion, 10.8.2... Switched to Imac less than a month ago and, for the most part, my previous Linux experience made the transition very smooth.

I'm currently using Thunderbird 16.0.2 for my email client. Somehow, I have several email address that are incorrect and showing in my address book. It appears that they were somehow corrupted during the original import to the default Mail program. I can't edit the addresses and the Delete function is grayed out. I have also tried Zimbra Desktop 7.2 email client with the same result: unable to edit the Mac OX addresses.

How do I make my email addresses available for editing or deletion outside of Thunderbird or any other email client? Apparently they are at system level but I can't find them as I don't know what the address book or contacts are called.

I have used Linux for a number of years but I can't find a way in OSX to locate the address book and then move it or export it, make the corrections and move it back or re-import it.

Suggestions and help are most appreciated...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, I did open the Contacts app and manually edit the addresses in question but I won't know if the content will be opened correctly until I receive another email from the addresses in question. As I recall, it didn't have any effect previously but here's hoping...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The correct way to edit email addresses is through the "contacts.app". That works well when using the Mail application supplied with your iMac. However, Thunderbird handles addresses a bit differently for email. I use Thunderbird as a news reader only not for mail. But I believe this is where the addresses are stored:

Macintosh HD/Users/you/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/w52afva1.default/

Note that your profile will be different from the one I show above. The address book appears to be the file: "abook.mab"

Also a note of interest for you.... Mozilla has announced they will no longer develop Thunderbird so it might be a good idea for you to switch to using the Mail client provided on your Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The correct way to edit email addresses is through the "contacts.app". That works well when using the Mail application supplied with your iMac. However, Thunderbird handles addresses a bit differently for email. I use Thunderbird as a news reader only not for mail. But I believe this is where the addresses are stored:

Macintosh HD/Users/you/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/w52afva1.default/

Note that your profile will be different from the one I show above. The address book appears to be the file: "abook.mab"

Also a note of interest for you.... Mozilla has announced they will no longer develop Thunderbird so it might be a good idea for you to switch to using the Mail client provided on your Mac.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look around and see what's what. I am aware of Thunderbird not being further developed as well. I did like the Zimbra Desktop email client and may consider that for the future. The Mail app in OSX is decnt but I just like a little more robust app.

Thanks again... :Cool: ... I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag,

It looks like the edits to the Contacts app has fixed the erroneous addresses. I'll will know for sure when I receive new mail from the affected addresses... thanks again...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.