New to Mac with a video question

Reaction score
I've been a PC guy since the early 90's. 18 months ago I purchased a use Macbook Pro and stumbled upon this forum. You guys have been a great help with the Macbook. Earlier this week my main PC in my house went to that big PC in the sky and I found myself at the Apple Store. I'm now the new father of a Mac mini.

So on to my question:

Everything with the Mac is going great except one little thing. When I wake up the Mac and the monitor after between 10 to 45 minutes the monitor goes black and then by either moving the mouse, tapping on the space bar or cycling the power on the monitor it usually comes back up with no further problems until the next time I wake up the Mac. I started using the HDMI cable then switched to the DVI via the converter that came with the Mac and the same thing happens. Sometimes when the picture comes back it all snow and cycling the monitor clears that up.
Am I looking at a monitor problem or maybe a video card problem or a setting problem?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If cycling the monitor clears one issue, I'd probably blame the monitor for that one.
You might try just switching to a different port and back if you've been power cycling it.

The issue of the screen going black, when the machine goes into sleep mode, you have a few seconds (not sure how long the time frame is, but happens to me all the time - could be during the entire time frame between display sleep and computer sleep settings - not sure, never tested it - and I don't use screensavers) to move the mouse, click the keyboard or whatever to bring the screen back up prior to it actually going to sleep.

For that one, probably just adjust your display sleep setting in System Preferences - Energy Saver.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
18 months ago I purchased a use Macbook Pro and stumbled upon this forum.

I hope that you didn't hurt yourself when you "stumbled"!;) 18 MONTHS…and it took you this long to make a post??;)

Earlier this week my main PC in my house went to that big PC in the sky…

Well…being a "Macintosh Guy"…I can't say I'm too upset about this!;)

...and I found myself at the Apple Store. I'm now the new father of a Mac mini.

Congratulations!:) Is this a brand new Mac-Mini?

So on to my question:

Everything with the Mac is going great except one little thing. When I wake up the Mac and the monitor after between 10 to 45 minutes the monitor goes black and then by either moving the mouse, tapping on the space bar or cycling the power on the monitor it usually comes back up with no further problems until the next time I wake up the Mac. I started using the HDMI cable then switched to the DVI via the converter that came with the Mac and the same thing happens. Sometimes when the picture comes back it all snow and cycling the monitor clears that up.
Am I looking at a monitor problem or maybe a video card problem or a setting problem?

If this Mac-Mini is brand new…I would think that we can assume (at least for the moment) that it's not the computer (never know though). You shouldn't be getting that "snow". To be honest…if all other activities with this computer are fine (everything video related)…I would tend to think that the cable & monitor should be ok as well.

Do these video issues happen with both the HDMI and DVI cable you have? Also…if you had another monitor…that would be a way to see if the monitor is the issue.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
I hope that you didn't hurt yourself when you "stumbled"!;) 18 MONTHS…and it took you this long to make a post??;)

Well…being a "Macintosh Guy"…I can't say I'm too upset about this!;)

Congratulations!:) Is this a brand new Mac-Mini?

If this Mac-Mini is brand new…I would think that we can assume (at least for the moment) that it's not the computer (never know though). You shouldn't be getting that "snow". To be honest…if all other activities with this computer are fine (everything video related)…I would tend to think that the cable & monitor should be ok as well.

Do these video issues happen with both the HDMI and DVI cable you have? Also…if you had another monitor…that would be a way to see if the monitor is the issue.

HTH,:)

- Nick

The Mac mini is brand new and yes on both HDMI and DVI inputs on the monitor. This morning when it went black I did nothing and just waited. In about 3 secs everything was fine. It only does it once a session and is fine the rest of that session. I'm beginning to think it's just the nature of the beast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.