Problem with Boot Camp - Windows install freezes

Reaction score
I have an iMac purchased in mid-2010. I received a hard disk drive recall notice from Apple. Apple replaced the hard drive and reinstalled the latest Mac OS. Unfortunately, the installation also removed the Boot Camp partition and Windows 7 installation I had previously installed on the old hard drive.

Now I cannot re-install Windows. Carefully following the "Boot Camp Installation and Setup Guide" version 019-2133 2011-6, I got as far as Step 3: Install Windows #6 "Follow Instructions to finish installing Windows." The only configuration step presented was "What language?". After answering that question, the screen on my Mac goes dark and never comes back.

I repeated the entire procedure, this time with a USB-attached keyboard and mouse, but got the same results.

This is especially maddening because two years ago I successfully installed and used Windows.
Can anyone help?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Pull out your Win 7 disc, clean it, take a look at it - damaged?

While your machine is turned off, take a can of air, and shoot 3-4 quick blasts into the slot of the drive in different directions.

You are using a version of Win 7 that is compatible with BootCamp?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have an iMac purchased in mid-2010. I received a hard disk drive recall notice from Apple. Apple replaced the hard drive and reinstalled the latest Mac OS. Unfortunately, the installation also removed the Boot Camp partition and Windows 7 installation I had previously installed on the old hard drive.

You didn't mention if someone at Apple asked you if had made a backup prior to bringing the machine to them for the hard drive swap out. They should have reminded you that all your data would be lost if you had no backup.

Anyway, it's too late now. Clean the drive and disk as you've been advised and try again to install Windows 7.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions

My Windows 7 DVD is in primo shape. I keep it in the orginal box in which it came. Although I might be wearing it out aith the multiple reinstallation attempts.

As far as backups, I religiously use Time Machine and quite easily recovered the Mac partition, apps, and data. Apple did warn me that Time Machine would not restore the Windows partition. I accepted that risk because I also baked up my important Windows files on other media and because I figured if I installed Windows before, I could do it again.

Well, I finally did. After much googleing, I uncovered an Apple tech note from 2010, Boot Camp: iMac displays a black screen during installation of Windows 7. It explained how to properly confgure an external USB drive with Mac drivers (like video) that the Windows Install program could use.

I had to totally disregard the instructions Apple provided with the new version of Safe Boot in this regard, and use the 2010 version.

Anyways, problem solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.