Which Mac?

Reaction score
Hi there,

i'm pretty new to Mac OS except for some 68k emulation on my Amiga and virtual hosting with qemu. But a few weeks ago i had the chance to get a 15" Powerbook G4 @1,67GHz pretty cheap.
So right now i am using this nice piece of hardware but sadly i have to admit that the g4 is just too slow for imovie '09. So i was thinking about to switch to a G5 Dual or Quad PowerMac as i hope that this machine will provide enough power for video editing. Why PPC? Well, because these machines are pretty chip compared to Intel Macs.

As i'm not really into Mac hardware i was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and suggestions. Basically it all comes down to video editing and multimedia in general.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So i was thinking about to switch to a G5 Dual or Quad PowerMac as i hope that this machine will provide enough power for video editing. Why PPC? Well, because these machines are pretty chip compared to Intel Macs.

-Depends on the price. If you pay too much for one of these PPC machines…that price may be close to a used Intel model.
- Finding software for the older PPC machines is not that easy. So if you want to do anything with it other than internet & e-mail…make sure you have a source to get software.
- If you decide to get a G5 based PPC computer…make sure that it comes with a hard drive…and that OS 10.5 is already installed. If you have to find your own 10.5 install disk…that's going to cost you another $75 to $100.
- Also ask the seller for the 2 original gray DVD's that the computer shipped with…if the owner still has them.

- Nick

Reaction score
How much RAM do you have and how much space is on your HD? My PowerBook G4 wasn't too slow for iMovie '09 (before I removed it).

C

chas_m

Intel Macs are cheap too. Heck a brand new Mac mini can be had for under $600 -- a refurbished or used recent model goes for a lot less.

Frankly I think you are barking up the wrong tree looking for PPC stuff. That era is dead, the software is dead, no security updates, etc. -- you'll spend a lot more in time trying to make it work well than you save in money.

Scout around for an affordable 2009 or later Intel Mac. You'll really be a lot happier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Support what chas_m says. Anything in an Intel will scream compared to an old PowerPC machine. The PowerPC are cheap compared to intel, but then again that is the performance you will get.

Reaction score
Intel Macs are cheap too. Heck a brand new Mac mini can be had for under $600.

What may be cheap to you may not be cheap to him. $600 still might be out of his budget.

Realistically, a G5 could be had for half of that or less and would be faster than a G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe but in a short time the OP may well wish he had gone the Intel route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.