Can't connect to WiFi from Powermac! Help!

Reaction score
Morning.

Here's the thing. I have a Power Mac early 2008. 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon. Running Lion 10.7.5.
I've always had it wired up. ie not WiFi, so I've never knowingly used Airport, so don't really understand how that all works.

I've now moved and in my new house I've just had Virgin Wireless installed (cabled isn't practical in what is a rented house).
I have a new iPad which has picked up on the new WiFi, so I know that the WiFi is working, but I can't seem to get my Power Mac to pick up the WiFi.

If I've understood it correctly then my Power Mac should have WiFi built in, and indeed, when I look at the Help Centre it tells me "your mac is equipped with an Airport Card…" However, The drop down WiFi menu which is supposed to be on the top Menu Bar is not there. As directed by the Help Center I've looked at System Preferences - Network where there should be a WiFi option on the left hand side, but there isn't.

I've also looked under the Apple Menu - About This Mac and under Network - WiFi there is mention of WiFi diagnostics and Airport Utility. Also under Software - Applications there is mention of Airport Base station agents, Airport Utility, Airport devices agent and WiFi diagnostics. Though quite what all this is telling me, I'm not sure. except to perhaps indicate that there is some WiFi activity in my mac.

Is my my Power Mac missing something? A card? Is it something easily resolvable? do I need to spend money? Can anyone explain it all?
I'm currently at work so can't immediately check on any advice, but anything to help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DeskTop is a MacPro 2.8 Quad/22gig/900gig SSD/2x3Tb HD plus MBP 15" 2.66 Core I7 /8gig/1.5Tb SSD
try this first open system preferences>Network if there is no WIFI listed in left menu you should add it by + and select wifi from drop down menu also make sure little box is checked to show wifi status in Menu Bar

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Morning.

Here's the thing. I have a Power Mac early 2008. 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon. Running Lion 10.7.5.

First things first...you have a 2008 Mac Pro...not a 2008 Powermac. Makes a BIG difference...since Mac Pros have Intel cpu's...and Powermac's have a PPC cpu's. This also makes a BIG BIG difference what OS versions can be run. And finally...there were no 2.8ghz Powermac's.;)

If I've understood it correctly then my Power Mac should have WiFi built in...

Is my my Power Mac missing something? A card? Is it something easily resolvable? do I need to spend money? Can anyone explain it all?

The WiFi card in 2008 Mac Pro's was optional...so your Mac Pro may not have a WiFi card. Definitely be sure whether you have a WiFi card or not. Go to:

- Apple Menu
- About this Mac
- More Info
- System Report
- The click on "WiFi" under the "Network" heading

If your Mac Pro doesn't have a WiFi card...then yes...you will have to spend money to purchase one.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.