No SSD. Not allowing internet downloads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: Early 2011; 2.3GHz; 8GB RAM; version 10.9.4 OS X
I just got an Crucial M4 256 SSD to replace my HDD. I got it cloned by an Apple certified technician and the computer itself runs fine, internet (Safari works).

Except...and a BIG one. I want to get my firefox and Microsoft office app back on my computer. I can download them through Safari, but then once downloaded I get a message

"unable to download (whatever program) due to lack of free space on hard drive. There is plenty of space as indicated by my system perferences and SDD icon (200GB).

What is going on here?!!!

Phil

C

chas_m

If you have the system, the usual set up apps, etc on a 256GB SSD drive, there is no way I can imagine that you have 200GB of free space. That's just not really possible unless you have nothing BUT the basic system and Safari on there and pretty much nothing else.

I could believe if you said you have 56GB free and 200GB taken up ...

Firefox is a free download and doesn't take up much space. You can't "download Microsoft Office through Safari." It comes on a DVD, and you buy it from a store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP w/15" Retina, i7 quad core 2.7Ghz, 768 gb SSD, 16gb Ram
You can't "download Microsoft Office through Safari." It comes on a DVD, and you buy it from a store.

This is not true.

Just two weeks ago, I downloaded MS Office via Safari, and installed it with no DVD, and no issues.

If one goes to the Microsoft Store online, one can download Office and any other MS product via Safari, and no need for a DVD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure member chas_m is aware of that. What he meant is that it can not be downloaded from other sources. And of course you're correct about the Microsoft on line store selling their products. It should also be noted that MS will in addition to the digital download send a backup disk for a small fee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just got an Crucial M4 256 SSD to replace my HDD. I got it cloned by an Apple certified technician and the computer itself runs fine, internet (Safari works).

Except...and a BIG one. I want to get my firefox and Microsoft office app back on my computer. I can download them through Safari, but then once downloaded I get a message

"unable to download (whatever program) due to lack of free space on hard drive. There is plenty of space as indicated by my system perferences and SDD icon (200GB).

For now, let's just verify that you don't have your numbers mixed up. Right-click on your SSD icon and select "Get Info". Exactly how much space is used and how much free?

Do you recall how much space was used on your old drive? Do you have a lot of personal files like videos and music that would be taking up a lot of space?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.