Hacking

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this forum.
The reason why I'm writing is because one of my emails has been hacked and started sending requests of money to all my contacts.
I have contacted some number on the web for Yahoo email support and realized after that it wasn't yahoo but a third party.
They have entered my computer and checked my Terminal and Activity Monitor and concluded that someone outside the US has hacked my computer. If I did not contact some other company in Delaware and payed 200 dollars i would have lost control of my computer.
Now, that sounded suspicious to me and did not do so.
Have changed all my passwords, yet I am wondering how to find out if the computer in it self has been hacked.
Anyone has practical hints on how to do that.
I am really not so good with computer, so simple instructions will be for sure more useful to me.
Thank you very much.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Moved to more appropriate forum.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac forums.

Note: I moved your post here as it really does not belong in our "Community Suggestions" forum.

Most likely someone is using your computer as a "bot" to send out soliciting emails and naturally your contact list is being used. Delete the account and create another with a strong password. Your new password(s) should contain a series of alpha numeric and other characters at least 10 in length.

As far as your computer itself being hacked, that's unlikely unless you had sharing turned on and were using public WiFi or WiFi at home without strong encryption. We recommend using WPA2.

Also, we recommend a password manager and generator. One of the best is "1Password" from Agilebits. You can download and buy it from here.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry I have no idea how this works, so how do I get to my post and how do I know if some has answered. Thanks for your patience.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That was a poorly executed move on my part (I'm not sure why only half the thread move). My apologies if this caused some confusion.

OP
S
Reaction score
"As far as your computer itself being hacked, that's unlikely unless you had sharing turned on and were using public WiFi or WiFi at home without strong encryption. We recommend using WPA2."

this part is not quite clear to me, where do i see if my sharing is turned on? Sorry really really ignorant about computers...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you hold down the option key and click the WiFi icon in your menu bar, you should be a bunch of info in grey underneath your wireless network. One of the items is the security type. What does it say there?

OP
S
Reaction score
It gives me this, so I would think that all is fine...right?!

/Users/micaelasaxer/Desktop/Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 6.21.00 PM.png

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Did you give any of your passwords to this external "help" third party?

For us to see your screen shot - you'll either have to upload it to a hosting site such as Photobucket - or directly attach it to your post.

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't think I did give passwords, but he was inside the computer and was able to write on my text edit...he had made me download an application that now I can't find anywhere, the icon was a light blue circle and had a white cross in the middle, one could chat with somebody else to receive help.

OP
S
Reaction score
A friend suggested that I check my Terminal and so I did, here are the results.
I for sure have no clue on how to decipher this language.
Do you guys see anything abnormal here?

I hope this is the end of this mess.

Thank you very very much for your help.

View attachment Terminal pdf.pdf

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.