Icloud

Reaction score
Hi,
I changed my email address attached to my Apple ID which was confirmed and now accessible with the new address, however, my Icloud stopped working because it will not update the new email information (Loggin still reflects my old Aplle ID email). The notification pops up every few seconds to change it but when I go into settings and click on the email, it does NOT give me the option to change it. I have the new Iphone 5 and want to upgrade however dont want to move into my new phone unless everything is working properly first. Any insight would be helpful since it's not just annoying but useless too : ( Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can change the email address attached to your Apple ID, but you cannot change the Apple ID itself. In other words, the ID will always be whatever your "old" email address was, even if you are no longer using that email address. Your log in will always be that old email address.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for responding so quickly. I'm sorry but I failed to mention I don't know the password for the old email address. I've tried every password I thought it would be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thank you for responding so quickly. I'm sorry but I failed to mention I don't know the password for the old email address. I've tried every password I thought it would be.

I'm not clear on what it is you are doing now. I thought you said you already changed the associated email address for your Apple ID. If so, then whatever the password was for your old email account is irrelevant. You log in to iCloud with your Apple ID and the password for your Apple ID.

This really illustrates what a HORRIBLE idea Apple has to make your email address the Apple ID. It just muddies things up when one no longer uses that email address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.