Can Pixelmator be Trusted?

Reaction score
So it seems Pixelmator is willing to delete forum replies and blog comments that are critical of problems with the software.

I'm not talking bashing or impolite comments, just respectful discussion of issues that don't make them look good.

So my question, is this the right thing for a company to do? Obviously it's their right to do it, but it's everyone else's decision as to whether it's a shady practice.

Reaction score
That's definitely shady business there. How do you know stuff is being deleted?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the forum you're referring to run by Pixelmator? If it is, they have every right to do what they're doing. Take a look at the Apple Community Forums that Apple runs. Make a derogatory remark about Apple and see how long your post remains....

OP
W
Reaction score
That's definitely shady business there. How do you know stuff is being deleted?

They have a bug that corrupts colors whenever you copy/past or export and image, and haven't fixed it for a year. As you might imagine plenty of people have been complaining.

1) A few months ago they blogged about a release with bug fixes. When I commented on the post just asking if the bug was one of the ones fixed, they deleted it mysteriously.

2) In the this thread I mentioned, they said my posts were misleading even though they were not opinions just events that happened. I said please let me know what is not true? And they ended up deleting multiple comments out of the thread that they didn't like. Pixelmator - Pixelmator Changes Color when Exporting

OP
W
Reaction score
Is the forum you're referring to run by Pixelmator? If it is, they have every right to do what they're doing. Take a look at the Apple Community Forums that Apple runs. Make a derogatory remark about Apple and see how long your post remains....

It's their right no doubt. But as long as it's honest discourse, should a company do it?

It seems like many people who advise companies say that you can increase your trust/loyalty by letting comments stand and taking action to improve or mitigate the problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if this addresses your concern or not but I just yesterday received an update to Pixelmator from the Mac App store. My version update says it's

2.1.3 Cherry (21012).

C

chas_m

It's true that Apple will delete libelous or derogatory remarks about the company, but as is quite obvious they do NOT delete posts that just discuss problems, indeed that is why their support forums exist.

It's been my experience that if someone publishes something that is not necessarily derogatory but is UNTRUE, they may delete it, since it amounts to misinformation. But clearly the forums are full of people complaining about issues they are having, whether its due to their own mistake or a genuine discovery of a bug or flaw.

OP
W
Reaction score
Shocking - it looks like today Pixelmator went back and restored multiple posts they deleted discussing the problem.

They also are sending email to posters asking how to help fix the problems.

I'll take this as a positive sign...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's true that Apple will delete libelous or derogatory remarks about the company, but as is quite obvious they do NOT delete posts that just discuss problems, indeed that is why their support forums exist.
But they do (here and here). They have the right to do it this though (however bad it may look).

C

chas_m

Without knowing what is was in the posts that caused them to be deleted, I'm inclined to think Apple had a logical explanation for their deletions.

If they deleted every post -- or even most posts -- that complain about an issue, the forum would cease to exist, as its purpose is to report -- and solve through community engagement -- problems.

It would be like this forum banning any post that mentions Apple or Macs. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Without knowing what is was in the posts that caused them to be deleted, I'm inclined to think Apple had a logical explanation for their deletions.
The second link has a screenshot. ;)

C

chas_m

As I mentioned before -- "It's been my experience that if someone publishes something that is not necessarily derogatory but is UNTRUE, they may delete it"

The CR report was later found to be untrue, or at least deceptive (in that it didn't bother to mention that every other phone has exactly the same "problem").

In case you haven't noticed, the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S all have the same antenna design. Clearly this "problem" isn't the "problem" CR's initial and hysterical reporting made it out to be ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.