upgrade from leopard

Reaction score
Hi ya, ive just brought a 2nd hand imac. It currently has leopard 10.5.8
whats the best way of upgrading and how far do you suggest, snow leopard or mountain lion?

any other suggestions of things i may need as im looking to self teach and play around with web design and video editing.

Spec 2GHz intel duo and 1GB memory. any suggestions on hardware upgrades?

Finally i was going to get an new phone aswell but was gonna get a samsung galaxy i may become subject to abuse for revealing that but would this have negative/limited compatability?

Reaction score
You can upgrade to Snow Leopard but cannot install Lion or Mountain Lion.

Call Apple to get a Snow Leopard install disc.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Please provide the specifics about the Mac you bought. If it is a Intel Core2Duo based Mac, then you can upgrade to Snow Leopard and if you upgraded the memory to 2GB, possibly even to Lion. If the iMac is post 2007, then you could upgrade to Mountain Lion as well.

OP
B
Reaction score
Cheers Guys,

it's 1GHz intel 2 core duo processor and 1gb ddr2 RAM. I intend on upgrading the ram anyway, someone mentioned upgrading processor, any suggestions to what?

am i restricting myself if i don't upgrade to snow leopard or mountain lion. and should i just get snow leopard direct from an apple shop. on amazon it's going for £85 new or £60 for an opened box. any suggestions of alternate places to get a copy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
it's 1GHz intel 2 core duo processor and 1gb ddr2 RAM. I intend on upgrading the ram anyway, someone mentioned upgrading processor, any suggestions to what?

In theory this may be possible (since the cpu is socketed)…I personally do not know of anyone doing it. And finding the parts you need is not easy..AND it probably would be much of a speed boost anyway.

As far as the OS. If this iMac truly only has a "core duo" cpu (versus a core 2 duo)…then you can only upgrade the OS to OS 10.6 "Snow Leopard". You NEED to call Apple directly to get it…since it is no longer sold in stores. You also want to call Apple instead of Amazon & other places…because the price from Apple will be MUCH better!

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.