Files in Document re arranged themselves....

Reaction score
Today while cleaning up and editing my document files for some time, all the files switched from being alphabetically organized from A to Z and are now arranged from Z to A. I have looked everywhere to find where to reverse that. It's never happened before. Does anyone know how to fix that?
Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling us which application that this happened in? Were you using the Finder at the time or some other program?

C

chas_m

The files did not rearrange themselves. You rearrange them inadvertently. You can fix the problem by clicking again (as you inadvertently did before) on the column heading "Name." You'll note a little arrow pointing up or down:

Screen Shot 2012-11-11 at 5.11.03 PM.png

This indicates sorting order: ascending order, and when clicked again, descending order.

This works with the other column headers as well.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for you help. The only place I could find like your screen shot was when I went to Applications. I did click on that but it only arranged the apps file. Going back to Documents again there is a column header like you described and that was the first thing I had tried when everything got rearranged and there is no arrow there and when I clicked on "Name" nothing changed. I tried the drop down menu in "arrange" but nothing. I must be missing something.
I do have the files from A to Z in the correct order in the single column view in Documents, however it's the one with the columns that is reversed which I was working out of - any another other options? Again, I appreciate your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.