Better to use imovie or iphoto for a slide show?

Reaction score
I have used iphoto slideshow with the ken burns effect and the transitions. But I read that you could get a better and sexier slideshows using imovie because it gives you more options for music, transitions and effects.

Is that true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You have more options, but it also takes a ton more work because it doesn't automatically fit to the music and it requires you dragging transitions to all of the images

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i have never made such a slideshow before but i would assume this. that eventhough the imovie may take longer dragging in each and every transition, and clipping your music to the appropriate time that the extra time you put in will create a better looking slideshow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
coach_z said:
i have never made such a slideshow before but i would assume this. that eventhough the imovie may take longer dragging in each and every transition, and clipping your music to the appropriate time that the extra time you put in will create a better looking slideshow.
You would be amazed at how good the slideshows you can make in iPhoto come out. I edit my mp3's into one huge track so I don't have to worry about songs fading in and out, Ken Burns effect custom on each photo, and switch up the transitions on them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
good to know, maybe ill throw one of these together one day
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I recently tried this using iphoto and then sending it over to idvd to burn the slideshow. Worked quite well, in idvd you are able to create menus and make it look better.

OP
C
Reaction score
Very cool. On making your own MP3 so you can use in the iphoto. How do you do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i can use garageband, or find an applescript to join them
an imovie slideshow is a pain in the butt! it takes forever (at least on my ibook) because it has to "check" or "format" or something for the slide, and it makes everyting run wicked slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think the latest version of iMovie (in iLife 06) can actually automatically build your slideshow the way iPhoto can...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.