• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What made you a Mac user?

Reaction score
I've always had windows cuz I'm a gamer. But lately lost interest in gaming. And when I got windows 8 I felt like puking.

I love my iPhone so going with mac. I just hope apple doesn't try to go the route of comboning laptop with tablet. If they make a MacBook that has touch screen and is loses it traditional desktop environment, I don't think I'll ever touch Any compute ever again.

Help us Steve jobs, even though you are no longer with us, you were and always will e Apple. I believe in you!!! I believe...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If they make a MacBook that has touch screen and is loses it traditional desktop environment, I don't think I'll ever touch Any compute ever again.

I doubt if they'll do that, Apple sees touch screens as a phone / tablet interface that doesn't work well with their desktop OS, hence the fact that while OSX and iOS share the same kernel code, they are 2 different beasts

OP
Sento
Reaction score
I doubt if they'll do that, Apple sees touch screens as a phone / tablet interface that doesn't work well with their desktop OS, hence the fact that while OSX and iOS share the same kernel code, they are 2 different beasts

Your post being peace to my digital soul.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If you ever set down and use Apple's trackpad for any length of time you will realize no one else's come close and the OS allows for quicker results on just about everything I use plus it interfaces with all there products without a hitch so far or at least thats been my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Windows Me Too - otherwise known as Windows Vista. Plus I wanted a viable local backup solution - I really like Time Machine as a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '07 MB v10.7~2.16GHz C2D~3GB 667MHz~Intel GMA 950 64MB
I switched to Apple for high quality, lasting products. I've dropped my MacBook on pavement (just once, thankfully) and I was sure that the screen would be cracked... picked it up and did a check-over, nothing but a few scratches on the sides! Typically, the plastic is chipped where the magnets in the lid meet the rest of the body when the lid is closed, the trackpad is a little worn, and a few minor scratches on the bottom and sides is all that's wrong with it cosmetically. Although my battery recently died from a spill :(

I used the old white MacBooks with Tiger (I think) for a little while while I was in middle school, and ever since I've wanted one, but never could afford it, until I found mine for $550 on eBay. I have yet to fully master all this thing can do, but I got the basics down for the most part. Being a Microsoft user since 2001, I was so used to numerous Anti-Virus programs, multiple system restores, and countless hassles. My Mac pretty much does everything for me. I'm happy with my switch! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I switched because making Unix user-friendly is easier than fixing Windows.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Using a Mac made me a Mac user. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Karateka. Really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, was my very first exposure to any Apple. I bought the game before I had one at home;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
For me, it was the simple fact that to get the Windows Laptop with the power I wanted I was going to spend more than if I got the Mac. Since I wanted it primarily for photo/video production, I was looking at high-end laptops. I found replacements for all of the software I required and moved over.

I now have 2 Macs. My MBP and my MacMini.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I bought my Mac Mini to explore iOS development since I already had a nice PC running Linux. Over 6 months or so as I learned how to use OS X properly, I found myself in OS X more than Linux, however since the Mac Mini's power was significantly lower than the PC, it was a little annoying. So sold the Mac Mini and the PC and made the switch to the i7 iMac I have now..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If we're to date back to the ORIGINAL thing that made me a Mac user, it would have to be all the way back in kindergarten/middle school with the Macintosh LC, and II series. Then it spawned to newer models of the Power Macintosh, to the PowerMac, and ultimately to the MacPro. I remember the countless hours I spend playing The Oregon Trail. It was an awesome game(back then).

If you ware to look at one item that made me purchase my first Mac, it would be my first iPhone; the iPhone 3G. After that, these Mac's came in this exact order: Late 2008 MacBook Pro 15" uni. PowerMac G4 2x533. PowerMac G5 1x1.66. PowerMac G5 2x1.8. PowerBook 17" 1.6. Late 2008 Macbook 13" aluminum. I still have all but the G5 1.66. I don't plan on getting rid of any of them. That's just "Mac" stuff.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If we're to date back to the ORIGINAL thing that made me a Mac user, it would have to be all the way back in kindergarten/middle school with the Macintosh LC, and II series. Then it spawned to newer models of the Power Macintosh, to the PowerMac, and ultimately to the MacPro. I remember the countless hours I spend playing The Oregon Trail. It was an awesome game(back then).

If you ware to look at one item that made me purchase my first Mac, it would be my first iPhone; the iPhone 3G. After that, these Mac's came in this exact order: Late 2008 MacBook Pro 15" uni. PowerMac G4 2x533. PowerMac G5 1x1.66. PowerMac G5 2x1.8. PowerBook 17" 1.6. Late 2008 Macbook 13" aluminum. I still have all but the G5 1.66. I don't plan on getting rid of any of them. That's just "Mac" stuff.

I love that game. There was another one that I use to play all the time too. Had to do with finding stuff in the Amazon rainforest.

Reaction score
In 1989, Virginia Tech required its majors to buy Macs running UNIX. I had a Mac IIci with 8MB of RAM, a 170MB HD and 14" colour monitor, running A/UX 1.1, and later A/UX 2.2.

Had I instead dropped out of school and spent that $5500 on AAPL stock instead, I would now have about $1.1M in AAPL stock and be without the $75,000 or so in student loan debt that I now have. So, I would be ahead by about $1.2M PLUS the out of pocket money spent on school AND not have wasted my youth in a classroom.

So when people say Apples are overpriced - yeah - I agree.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.