Xquartz opens a terminal at boot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5, ML 10.8.2, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD
I bought a new Imac 21.5" a little over a week ago, and, for the most part, having used Linux as my primary operating system for the last 4 years, am quite comfortable with the system.

In order to use Inkscape on my Imac (I used Inkscape to transition from CorelDraw on my Linux system so I have all of my files saved in SVG format to my external data drive), I installed Xquartz. Everything is working as expected in 10.8.2 -but- why does an X terminal window open when I boot to my desktop? Is there some way to prevent that open terminal window from displaying on my desktop while still making sure that Xquartz gets loaded and is made available for Inkscape? It's just a minor annoyance to have to close it every time but I can't see why it has to be displayed at all. According to the Xquartz loading info, I am configured correctly. Based on the echo $DISPLAY output, I get: /tmp/launch-d5kiCw/org.macosforge.xquartz:0 which is correct insofar as loading is concerned.

I appreciate any and all help I can get concerning this question.

Lastly, I am very pleased with my Imac. I did install an additional 2x4 GB of memory so I'm at 12GB. I have installed a number of applications that are the same or similar to what I use on my Linux system, and, so far, the results are excellent.

Thanks for the help...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I suspect that XQuartz is being opened at boot and if I remember correctly, an XTerm window opens by default when X is opened. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items and make sure XQuartz isn't in that list. Second, if you shutdown your computer and you have the "Reopen windows when logging back in" checkbox checked with XQuartz open, it will reopen when you log back in.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5, ML 10.8.2, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD
Thanks to you both for the replies. I guess I'll just live with it until Inkscape is updated to not require Xquartz.

Thanks again...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.