New to Mac

Reaction score
I had been a PC user all my life until a few days ago. I bought a new iMac. It's my first Mac ever and I must say I wish I had bought one sooner. This is a much superior machine than any PC I've ever owned. I just have one question. Do I need antivirus software or not? I've heard some say no and others say yes. Hopefully some of you experienced Mac users can finally answer it for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Do I need antivirus software or not? I've heard some say no and others say yes. Hopefully some of you experienced Mac users can finally answer it for me.

Sure; no, you don't.

C

chas_m

Agreed. An anti-virus program isn't necessary. It's not to say that Macs are immune from any sort of malware, but viruses are one thing you don't have to worry about, and Apple's built-in anti-malware plus your own common sense will protect you from everything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '07 MB v10.7~2.16GHz C2D~3GB 667MHz~Intel GMA 950 64MB
None needed here! I haven't been on any crazy virus infected websites, but I also have the 'WOT' (Web of Trust) Safari extension to show me what websites are bad before I even view them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.