newbie looking at used MBP

Reaction score
I'm going tomorrow morning to look at a mid-2010 15" MBP I found on Craigslist. I've never owned a Mac before and want to know what I should be looking out for when I'm exploring on it.I've looked at everymac and have a feeling of what to expect. He's sending me screen shots of the info pages.

It has AppleCare till 9/13...anything I should know about the transfer process?

I've noticed a few ads will say "no dead pixels"...was this a problem at some time??

thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The no dead pixels is a standard thing with LCDs in general. You want to ensure there is no physical damage to the MBP, and if there is some that you can live with it based on the price.

Ensure that you get, at the least, the original discs that came with the MBP. Getting all of the original packaging is also great.

I wouldn't worry about transferring anything over, the moment you do buy it, you should use the installation discs and completely wipe the HD clean and re-install OS X on it and start out fresh like a new user.

M

MacInWin

Raz0rEdge has made a great suggestion. If you try to leave whatever the previous owner has put on or done to the machine, it will be harder for you to learn and diagnose any challenges you have. You'll never know if the "challenge" is something real or some artifact of the previous owner. So get the original discs with the machine and do a total wipe. That makes the machine "new" for you!

OP
Q
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The guy texted me early that morning saying it was sold, which was a red flag to me because I had talked to him about 9pm. I ended up ordering a refurbished late-2011 15" MBP. My nephew works for Apple so the end price was great and I am much more confident buying from Apple.

I'm super thrilled to be going Mac...

Thanks again for the advice.

Lori

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Good deal. You've gotta be real careful with Craigslist as there a lot of scammers on there..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.