Gmail issues

Reaction score
I have a mac book pro that we purchased earlier this year. Out of nowhere, some of my emails have A's in boxes for letters instead of the letters themselves. I can highlight the "A boxes" and copy and paste them into word and the correct message pastes and I can read it. If I highlight the "A boxes" and right click them, I can click speech and it will read the message. I would really like to read my emails! Can anyone help!!!!????

I added a pic.

10481_514589875217898_1756640824_n.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Where are you receiving these emails from? And are all your email messages the same way? The reason I ask is because it appears that whoever is sending the email to you is using a font that your machine can not read and thus displays the "A" in its place. Or, you may be missing a font that you need to read them. (Word uses its own fonts separate from the system.)

OP
A
Reaction score
Where are you receiving these emails from? And are all your email messages the same way? The reason I ask is because it appears that whoever is sending the email to you is using a font that your machine can not read and thus displays the "A" in its place. Or, you may be missing a font that you need to read them. (Word uses its own fonts separate from the system.)

It is emails from companies such as Old Navy, UPS, FedEx, the local zoo. Not all of the email is that way and emails from personal friends don't do this. This happened out of nowhere. I have been receiving emails from these companies for months+ and never had an issue before.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of OS X are you using and version of Mail? Click on the Apple menu at the top left and select "About this Mac". Open Mail, click on the Mail menu and select "about".

If you're receiving some mail normally while certain other mail is showing up with the "A", that means the fonts on your machine are OK. The problem is likely on the sending end. I understand from your title that you're using GMail as your provider? If that's correct, try going direct to the GMail server web site, sign in, and read your mail from there. Are they showing up the same way?

OP
A
Reaction score
What version of OS X are you using and version of Mail? Click on the Apple menu at the top left and select "About this Mac". Open Mail, click on the Mail menu and select "about".

If you're receiving some mail normally while certain other mail is showing up with the "A", that means the fonts on your machine are OK. The problem is likely on the sending end. I understand from your title that you're using GMail as your provider? If that's correct, try going direct to the GMail server web site, sign in, and read your mail from there. Are they showing up the same way?

OS X-10.7.5

Mail version 5.3

It does not do the A's directly through gmail on Safari.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does not do the A's directly through gmail on Safari.

OK. At least we know that Safari can read the mail direct from the server and it's alright from there. On the chance that some fonts may be missing, why don't you download and install the combined Lion update? Let me see if I can find the link to download the 10.7.5. combination update.

Here it is: LINK Just install it over the top of your current Lion. If any fonts are missing or something in mail isn't working right that may fix it. I don't know if you are making backups or not, but it's always a good idea to make a backup before doing anything involving reinstalling OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.