Running Windows on Mac and printer issues

Oid

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to this forum malarky so please forgive me if my questions are of a schoolboy nature.

I have just purchased a second hand MacPro 1.1 with 2 x intel Xeon cpu @2.33Ghz, 8 core running OSX 10.6.3 and a lovely 30" cinema screen. I plan to use it primarily to retouch photographs from a high resolution camera and to print via Photoshop through an Epson Stylus pro 7880.

The problem I am encountering is I am unable to find the Epson driver/ utility as it was on my old iMac G5, which allowed me to perform nozzle checks and head cleaning cycles. I did download a driver (Gutenprint v5.2.3) but I can't perform any of the above and my colours have all gone to pot! I also bought an engineers utility disc in the hope of performing a colour specific head clean for a particularly troublesome magenta jet, without wasting ink from the other cartridges. Little did I know but this engineers disc is for PC only. I contacted the seller and he suggested that I install Windows on my Mac to use the engineers disc. I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone on here could help me with. Please!

If I install Windows so I can use the decent Epson utility and engineers disc, will I have to also have to re-install Photoshop in a PC format, and use that to print, or will I be able to run Photoshop in OSX and print through an Epson driver in Windows simultaneously?

Any help, suggestions or fixes would be greatly appreciated. It has got me worried sick!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.