Loading Windows 7 64 bit using Bootcamp

Reaction score
I have a older 2008 MACbook Pro that I am havinb trouble installing windows 7 using bootcamp. I am able to partition my drive and I get the install tab to activate the install. I insert my windows 7 cd and click on install. I then get a black screen with a blinking curser and windows will not start the install. I have tried rebuilding MAC OS and partitioning my HD many times and continue to get the same result. How can I get Windows 7 installed. Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neal

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The black screen with blinking cursor is an indication that Windows can not find a video driver, or there is a problem with the one it's using. Windows 7 should be able to be installed on that machine. (I installed Windows 7 on an early 2008 MacBook.)

What version of OS X are you currently using as that will make a difference in the boot camp version. Installing Windows 7 is not supported if you're using Leopard and might not work even when using Snow Leopard.

EDIT: I just had another thought..... You're trying to install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 on an older 2008 MBP. I installed the 32 bit version of Windows 7 on my older 2008 MacBook. I'm thinking that the 64 bit version of Windows 7 is not supported on your 2008 MBP. Try installing the 32 bit version instead to see what happens.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am using Snow Leopard. I will try Windows 7 32 bit version and let you know what my results are.

Thanks for your reply

Neal

OP
B
Reaction score
I just tried the 32 bit version of Windows 7 and got the same results. Black screen with a blinking cursor. Not sure where to go from here. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Neal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What sort of Windows 7 disc are you using?

OP
B
Reaction score
It is a Windows 7 disc that I bought from Fry's that you would use to load Windows 7 from scratch on a PC.

Thanks

Neal

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you purchased a Windows 7 OEM System Builder's DVD from Fry's which should be OK to install. Something else is going on then if even the 32 bit version gives you a black screen with blinking cursor. As I mentioned before, that usually indicates the lack of a video driver.

Tell us again at what stage of the install do you see the black screen with the blinking cursor? Does boot camp setup OK and then offer to reboot to begin the Windows 7 installation? Or does it fail before it reaches that point?

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes...Bootcamp does set up OK. When I insert the disc and click on the install option my computer reboots and then the blackscreen appears with the blinking curser.

Thanks

Neal

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that's likely a video driver issue. Post the exact specs on your 2008 MacBook Pro. I'll need the model number so I can look it up with Mactracker to see what it says about the video hardware.

OP
B
Reaction score
Here is what I have been able to pull off my MACbook Pro. If there is anything else that is needed you will have to help me get it.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.27f3

Serial Number (system): W88142NCYJX

Hardware UUID: 3CEC84BB-3C17-5B04-85BC-6280022CBAE6

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Thanks

Neal

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks for posting that info. I have what I needed to do a lookup. Your machine uses the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics chipset which should be supported by Windows. However, I'm not sure there's a driver for it for Windows 7. I'll have to see what I can find out and get back to you. I know that chipset is supported in XP.

OP
B
Reaction score
I was running Windows XP on my MACbook Pro with no problems. I had no idea there would be any issues with Windows 7. Thanks for helping me.

Neal

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.