Imac

Reaction score
Hi there recently I bought an IMAC 27" all good , untill it start to drain my wi-fi 3 ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What is "wi-fi 3"???

OP
A
Reaction score
If any programs or apps run in background on my IMAC are they using a lot of my bandwith ? help please

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That depends on the app. If I run Mail, it is going to check all my accounts routinely and use the Internet, if I run Textedit, it isn't going to use any since it's not Internet connected..

What EXACTLY are you trying to figure out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I often have many internet applications running at once: Mail, Messages, Skype, Safari, Filezilla and sometimes Netflix to boot and there is no noticeable slowing down. I'm sure it's taking up more bandwidth than if I just had one or two of those things running, but not enough to bog it down.

OP
A
Reaction score
The ideea is that my allowance on my wi-fi seems to vanish way to quick hm ..... and i dont know what is causing it , and it only started since I bought my IMAC ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would be a lot more helpful to tell us WHAT apps you are running. You will want to keep an eye on your usage and determine which app is using the bandwidth by pruning your list one by one..there is no magic here..

OP
A
Reaction score
That depends on the app. If I run Mail, it is going to check all my accounts routinely and use the Internet, if I run Textedit, it isn't going to use any since it's not Internet connected..

What EXACTLY are you trying to figure out?

well I try to find out why I used 15 GB of data in 7 days .... never had a probleme befor on my Vaio... and now Im very confused cos I m new in using Mac .

OP
A
Reaction score
Would be a lot more helpful to tell us WHAT apps you are running. You will want to keep an eye on your usage and determine which app is using the bandwidth by pruning your list one by one..there is no magic here..

good question ... like I said I got safary , yahoo mes , iphoto , ipage, itune , finder, face time , I messages ... haw can I stop them???
thank for yr help

OP
A
Reaction score
Lately I download Adobe suite as a trial , could that be causing the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Are you quitting those apps or just closing their windows? Remember, closing an application's window usually doesn't actually close the app down. You have to actually choose Quit from the application's menu to close down the app. Otherwise it will technically still be running.

C

chas_m

Also, can you define what you mean by "allowance on my Wi-Fi?" I'm not familiar with this concept.

Are you running ANY kind of torrent or download manager type program??

Also, it's iMac, not IMAC. Just like it's printing on the front of your iMac. It's not an acronym.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.