New to Mac | Help

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

In my last post I explained I am new to Mac as I have just moved from Windows.
Basically, I would like to know all the essential information about using a Mac and if there are any decent programs I should consider getting.

Thanks, EnvyJack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2012 13" MBP i5
Go to apple.com a click support, there will be a few videos there and of course try youtube. I would recommend crossover or wine if u want to use any windows programs. If you do like to draw i would also recommend autodesk sketchbook pro, also look for popular app in the mac app store maybe some trends, i know pages is nice if u like to tyoe and so on, and it is always good to have a widget or two for weather or cpu mourning. Find something you like to do or maybe you enjoy and look into it to see if there are apps and or widgets for such a thing

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Moved to a more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
A bit of a broad question, so here's some basic info...

A pretty thorough text tutorial can be found here:
Apple - Support - Mac 101

Here's a tutorial especially for Windows switchers:
Apple - Support - Switch 101

And if you are a visual learner like me, here are some video tutorials:
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Once you know the basics, you might want to download Perian, VLC Player and/or Flip4Mac to play Windows Media files and other miscellaneous formats.

Reaction score
New to forum and Macs

Well, not brand new. But still learning. I have an IMac with the OSX 10.5.8 OS. I never upgraded to the Snow lion OS. Now I would like to upgrade to the Mountain Lion and have found there are a bunch of hoops and $$ to jump thru. What is the best and most efficient and cheapest route to go. And, where do I get the upgrades. I looked on the Apple site and there is nothing about the Snow Leopard OS.
TIA for your assistance.

C

chas_m

Well, not brand new. But still learning. I have an IMac with the OSX 10.5.8 OS. I never upgraded to the Snow lion OS. Now I would like to upgrade to the Mountain Lion and have found there are a bunch of hoops and $$ to jump thru. What is the best and most efficient and cheapest route to go. And, where do I get the upgrades. I looked on the Apple site and there is nothing about the Snow Leopard OS.
TIA for your assistance.

Not sure what you're talking about there, not a lot of hoops or $'s to go through.

1. Smack yourself for not having updated a long time ago.
2. Call Apple (yes, on the phone) and order Snow Leopard. $30.
3. Upgrade to that, then update to 10.6.8.
4. Open the Mac App Store, buy Mountain Lion ($20).
5. Update to that.

That's it. Now of course since you've put off keeping yourself up-to-date, some of your third-party apps (well, likely all of them) will need updating as well. That could cost some money, but really the best practice is to STAY up-to-date as much as possible -- works out a lot cheaper (or at least amortized over time) I find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.