bizarre mac problem

Reaction score
I have never had this happen before or heard of any one else with this problem (except this morning I found out a friend of mine heard the same thing happen with his roommate's mac just last week).

Last night I was online searching various sites for info I was interested in, then my Mac started broadcasting something totally unexpected through the speaker. It sounded very similar to what happens if someone calls you on a cell phone then forgets to turn the phone off so you can still hear them talking and doing things in the room. I was hearing noises that sounded like someone in room opening and closing drawers, shuffling papers, moving their chair around... and this persisted no matter what web site I went to.

I had my input mike turned all the way down so I am not sure if they could also hear me. After several minutes of listening to this, catching fragments of conversation, intermittent furniture scraping sounds I decided to try and signal them. I did this by hitting the ping noise three times in a row, pausing then doing it again, and then a third time. Within a few seconds I got a short electronic melody of four or five notes back.

At that point I kind of freaked out, don't know if someone had hacked into my computer or what.

I have a firewall and am connected to the internet via a modem and a router.

I immediately updated my Symantec security and started a scan, several files refused permission to be scanned and then about a third of the way through the Semantic just crashed generating a report to Apple.

I called a friend of mine who's job is keeping a large contingent of macs up and running figuring that if any one knew how or why my computor started receiving this mystery broadcast he would know.

He said he had never heard of anything like this until just last week, he had no idea what would cause it, but strangely enough he had heard the same thing happen with his roommate's mac late one night, it sounded simiar to what I heard, he kept getting the broadcast despite going to several different websites and like me he had to turn the computer off and reboot to get it to stop.

We both receive internet through comcast.

Anyone else experience this problem? Any one know what might cause it?

I did talk to tech support at comcast, they claimed never to have heard of such a thing happening.

C

chas_m

Chances are very high that this was random radio interference caused by cheap cabling. A friend of mine showed me how his iMac could "pick up" a local radio station that way.

Nobody has "hacked" into your computer, that's just silly. That firewall and Symantec are both doing you more harm than good and should be turned off and uninstalled, respectively.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.