• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Executive Management changes at Apple. Forstall & Browett out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Good news about Browett. Kind of concerned about Forstall, though I know some of his design choices have brought us many of the "skeuomorphic" textures in recent versions of OS X and iOS.

Reaction score
I kinda like the skeuomorphic designs of iOS…OS X is a bit over the top with it though…but I guess it's a change from the flat 2D designs of the 90s :p

Well, since Forstall is out, perhaps we have the option of seeing a redesign of iOS? OSX is great where it's at, iOS is getting kind of old with the grid design...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
This is literally all positive news. I'm excited about Apple's future for the first time since before OS X Lion was released.

- Jony Ive's great design sense will now be part of all the hardware and software
- Browett is being pushed out after half a year of contributing nothing positive to Apple Retail
- Forstall is finally being tossed after years of letting iOS stagnate, ruining Apple's software with his terrible design aesthetic (Calendar and Podcasts being the worst offenders...), and hindering collaboration by being as big a jerk as Steve Jobs but without the good taste
- Bob Mansfeld will stay on for an additional 2 years
- iOS will now be developed under the same VP as OS X, probably leading to iOS actually picking up some good elements from it once again
- The company's responsibilities are now divided in such a way that any single product will require collaboration and a unified vision among the senior VPs

As Darth Vader once said,

This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Forstall; it will soon see the end of skeuomorphism.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Good riddance to skeuomorphic design. What an eyesore. There's a reason that people were rushing to return iCal to it's normal glory after it succumbed to skeuomorphism. Let's hope that Forstall's departure let's Ive be a little more involved (in other words, less skeuomorphism).

From what I've read, Forstall's departure was a long time coming. It seems like Jobs liked him which may have been the only thing saving his role in the company.

I find it interesting that Forstall ripped into the iOS team for not being innovative enough (source). While in some respects I agree with him, he was responsible for that stagnation so I'm not sure his aggression was warranted.

To be fair to him, he did bring Unix support to OS X, Aqua and was responsible for Leopard (a fine release).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Dumb question perhaps, but *** is skeuomorphism please? :\

Is that the 'torn off previous day' thing in iCal and Address Book? O:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Dumb question perhaps, but *** is skeuomorphism please? :\

Is that the 'torn off previous day' thing in iCal and Address Book? O:)

It's when you make the user interface of a software product look like a real, physical item. For example, iCal with a leather-like skin. Or Game Center with a green felt background (like a pool table). That sort of thing...

I've always found it to be cheesy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I find it interesting that Forstall ripped into the iOS team for not being innovative enough (source). While in some respects I agree with him, he was responsible for that stagnation so I'm not sure his aggression was warranted.
Agreed, I laughed when I read that he was complaining that the project he was directly in charge of was stagnating.

To be fair to him, he did bring Unix support to OS X, Aqua and was responsible for Leopard (a fine release).

That article is far too generous to him in terms of Mac OS X contributions. Forstall was only one of a number of engineers carried over from NeXT that made the UNIX-based OS X possible, and Avie Tevanian and Bertrand Serlet were both more significant to that effort than Forstall (not to mention Serlet had oversight over Forstall for OS X releases and was the DRI for Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard). Scott has made some great contributions to OS X's development and is directly responsible for iOS being what it is, but claiming he brought all those things to OS X is more than disingenuous on the part of the article.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.