• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help me with burning a dvd on idvd and shortening it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
ok, sorry if my forum title post wasnt very clear. heres my problem.
i have the film se7en on my computer, as an avi file. IT IS LEGALLY GOT.
so i put it on idvd and it runs fine. now, i want to burn this idvd project to a blank dvd rom.
2 problems now emerge.

1, some people are saying that putting an avi file on idvd and burning it to dvd rom means that the dvd rom wont be able to play it. is this true, and if so how can i fix the problem?
2, se7en is about 2 minutes over 2 hours long in terms of playing time. blank dvd roms can remember up to 2 hours of film. is there some way i can compress se7en so it fits on a blank dvd rom, but is still playable? or can i cut off the credits somehow?

HELP PLEASE!

Reaction score
this takes me back a while, it can be done, you might have to use a program like Xillisoft Video Convertor. i remember trying different settings to finally get it so i could burn a disc that would play in my dvd player. ofcourse the easy way is to just drag it to a flash drive and have a media player plugged into your tv that will read the devise. is all this legal, i dont know. if you own the original and want to copy it, well again i dont know. what i do for my truck stereo is put all my songs on a flash drive and plug it into my stereo, much much faster and easy. as for dvd,s only taking 2 hours, well again there seems to be a easy solution for that, i dont know it seeing as i stopped burning dvd,s years ago. good luck either way you choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Open iDVD and start a new Project. Drag and drop your movie into the main window. Look in the Project Menu>Project Info. You can then adjust the quality or choose to use a dual layer dvd which should enable you fit it on one disc. When happy, click the Burn wheel.

The dvd should play in DVD Players, but some of them are fussy about home made dvds, so there is no guarantee.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
ok, sorry if my forum title post wasnt very clear. heres my problem.
i have the film se7en on my computer, as an avi file. IT IS LEGALLY GOT.
so i put it on idvd and it runs fine. now, i want to burn this idvd project to a blank dvd rom.
2 problems now emerge.

1, some people are saying that putting an avi file on idvd and burning it to dvd rom means that the dvd rom wont be able to play it. is this true, and if so how can i fix the problem?
2, se7en is about 2 minutes over 2 hours long in terms of playing time. blank dvd roms can remember up to 2 hours of film. is there some way i can compress se7en so it fits on a blank dvd rom, but is still playable? or can i cut off the credits somehow?

HELP PLEASE!

Even if you did actually get the AVI version legally, as per this sticky, you are dealing with a commercial movie and trying to copy it to your own media and that's not allowed.

Thread closed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.