Help! Bootcamp, Windows XP, and OSX Lion

Reaction score
Hey all, for a while I had Windows XP through bootcamp on my MacBook Pro, but eventually got rid of that half before updating. Not too long ago I updated to Snow Leopard, and immediately to Lion.
Now, I've decided I want WindowsXP back again because the need for it has grown. However when I try to open Boot Camp Assistant I get the error message you all know is coming.

"Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used.
You must update your system software before using this setup assistant."

I have done all these things:
~Gotten all software updates
~Verified and Repaired Permissions
~Checked to see if Journaling was on, it was.
~Restarted computer pressing Command+Option+P+R then:
~Attempted to download the MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.0 but got the error message that my computer did not need it. I'm not sure how to start up from a lesser version, the one the update was made for, and I read doing this didn't work for lots of people anyway.

I'm at a loss and I cannot afford the $20 charge for a service call that might not even help in the end.
Has anyone at all figured this out? I have scoured the forums and the internet and haven't found anything that works for me.

Specs:
Mac OS X: 10.7.5
Processor: 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you're trying to use a version of the Boot Camp assistant that's not designed to be used with Lion. How did you accomplish the update from Snow Leopard to Lion? And did you migrate data and apps?

OP
I
Reaction score
I did think of that but I didn't see any updates or versions on the apple website for a Lion version of Bootcamp, at least under their downloads.

I had the regular OSX that this 3 year old mac book came with, so I bought Snow Leopard at apple's website so I could actually have the App Store that was required to then buy and download Lion. So it was all digital and I did not physically buy the discs.

I believe I did go through a process that migrated data and applications so they were still on the computer, if that's what you mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Lion's version of Bootcamp requires Windows 7

What windows apps do you need to use

OP
I
Reaction score
I was also afraid someone would say that I need WIndows 7. Bah I don't have the money to go out and buy that yet. :\

But I would at least like to get bootcamp working first.

Edit: Oh and for windows apps, PhotoshopCS5 Suite (Still no money to buy the mac version yet. Yay poor art student.) . One windows-only game that's not too processor heavy, and some other minor things.

Reaction score
Bootcamp drivers

All you need is the Bootcamp 3 from the Snow Leopard 10.6 disc.

To install them, boot into Windows XP, insert the Snow Leopard install disc and then open explorer to the CD/DVD drive and open it and run Setup.exe to begin installation of Bootcamp and the drivers for Windows XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.