Mac G5 startup

Reaction score
Hey so I just got an old G5. It is the 2.7 GHZ dual core model. When I boot off the Tiger disk and select the hard drive. It says this volume cannot be used for startup? Is there a way to get around this? There is no partition on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you are using a silver grey model specific disc from another computer. If not can you boot from it and get to utilities in the Menu Bar to format Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

C

chas_m

Hey so I just got an old G5. It is the 2.7 GHZ dual core model. When I boot off the Tiger disk and select the hard drive. It says this volume cannot be used for startup? Is there a way to get around this? There is no partition on it.

I'm not really sure what model you are talking about here. "Dual core" is a term usually associated with Intel machines, not G5s.

Can you give us a little clarity on exactly what machine this is?

Also, the reason you're getting that message is that you're borrowing/pirating someone else's copy of Tiger, not the retail version. You will need either the original discs that came with THAT machine or the retail version of Tiger in order to install it.

Good luck finding retail copy at a reasonable price ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.