iMac powering off

Reaction score
Hi

On two occasions now my iMac (purchased 2007) has powered off during the night. It has then been about a day of being left alone before it will power up again; during that time pressing the power switch does nothing. I changed the power cord after the first time but it did it again. It was disconnected from the internet during this time; the iMac is usually on pretty much permanently. Weird and bemusing..! :Confused:

Many Thanks
P

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the power supply in your 2007 iMac is failing. Could be other causes but that would be my guess. If you're handy with taking things apart and doing your own repairs, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the instructions for replacing the PS in your model iMac. You'll also need to round up a new PS for it at the same time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.