Macbook Pro or Air?

Reaction score
I am almost certain this question has been addressed here before, but I cannot find it by searching previous posts in this forum, so with apologies.......

I am just about ready to make the jump from PC to Mac, and am having a difficult time deciding between the Pro or Air versions. Besides the "normal" use for email and web surfing, I do some digital painting and photo editing, and one concern I have is that I have a number of plug-ins for Photoshop which I will have to track down, download (find my license keys!) and/or possibly re-purchase the Mac version. (I use the full version of Photoshop, not Elements, as I prefer to make my own decisions). Some of these plug-ins are installed from discs, and in fact many of the programs are on disc as well, and my download speeds run faster than dial-up but not "fast" by today's definition. The Air rates really high in the cool factor for me, with its light weight and beautiful feel and design, but I am concerned about the lack of DVD drive. I know I can get a usb one, for not too much extra, but will it really do everything an inboard one will do? I don't watch movies on my computer, so that is not a concern. I am looking at the 13" version, and while I know there is now a 13" Pro with the retina display, I am not certain I really "need" that...although I do plan, whichever version I get, to upgrade it from the standard offering. I'm not concerned about storage, as I will probably get an external storage drive in any event.

Any thoughts and opinions from you all will be appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your time!

KathyNinMD

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I will let others who own MBA/MBP's comment on it's capabilities..but one thing I did want to mention is that the MBA comes with limited storage on the SSD, unless you're willing to fork over a good chunk of change to upgrade it. So you might have to look into additional external storage to avoid running out of space on your primary HD and making OS X very unhappy.

The MBPs come with regular HD's and you can replace the optical drive with a SSD to get the "best of both worlds" on there..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I will add…that the MacBook Air's ram in not upgradeable. You have to purchase all the ram you will ever need upfront. Some of the MacBook Pro models are this way as well. But some of the MacBook Pro models do still have upgradeable hard drives, upgradeable ram, and still have a CD/DVD drive.

- Nick

Reaction score
As a PC User, programmer, web developer and general internet geek who has used a PC for the past 20+ years, I just went through the same decision.... I chose the Mac Book Pro (specifically the 15" mid-2012 model, non Retina, 4 gigs of ram and i7 2.3Ghz processor... a steal at 1,400.00 based on my research.)

mainly because though I marvel at the Air - its literally a work of art - I really want the option to upgrade ram and Hard drive later instead of being stuck with the configuration I purchase. Retina is amazing, but not really something I was willing to shell out all the extra dough for.

good luck with your purchase. Im sending this from the windows 7 OS running on my Mbp (running navtively) but have to say, the OSX Mountain Lion experience has been really smooth to get used to.... the gestures are really really cool and help with productivity I've found. I still have to come up to speed on some things like time machine, etc. -- but Im having a blast and have barely touched my primary PC's at my desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I will add…that the MacBook Air's ram in not upgradeable. You have to purchase all the ram you will ever need upfront. Some of the MacBook Pro models are this way as well. But some of the MacBook Pro models do still have upgradeable hard drives, upgradeable ram, and still have a CD/DVD drive.

- Nick
Upgrading the RAM on the current non-Retina MBPs is simple, as is upgrading the hard drive. Five minute operation including shut down and restart.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Upgrading the RAM on the current non-Retina MBPs is simple, as is upgrading the hard drive. Five minute operation including shut down and restart.

That's why I mentioned with some MacBook Pro models…the ram is not upgradable (i.e. the retina MBP's)…and with some of the current MBP models…the ram is upgradeable (the non-retina MBP models).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
That's kinda what I figured. I just wanted to clarify it for people who didn't know. O:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.