Connecting to our Windows Server

Reaction score
Not sure if this should be in networking or here. So thought I would try this forum since it does have to do with Windoze.

We need some help.
We have 30+ imacs and running 10.7 and, we also have a few running 10.6 even a few still at 10.5. Networking the bunch running 10.7 is our primary concern.
Someone in our organization has bought us a server, about the only input we have have on this wonderful gift to our school is a choice of operating system we have a choice of Windows 2003 R2 server or 2008 R2.

The only thing this Windows server will be used for is a file server. Imacs will >go to server, mount the share and students will save their data to their folder on the server. That’s it. We are leaning toward 2003 R2 as we’ve heard that 2008 doesn’t talk to apple anymore. Can someone weigh in on this and provide us with some direction.
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Windows Server 2003 would be the better option since it still supports AFP (Apple file sharing over IP) with its services for Macintosh feature

Personally, if its a mac only network I would go for Linux Server, but that's just an opinion. Anyway, Windows Server 2003 will be easier to network to Mac clients, I am sure it can be done with Server 2008 but its more work and in my experience causes permissions issues on the Mac side

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.