• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Slims Down IMac

Reaction score
Well, there goes another Optical Drive. :Angry:

Apple Slims Down IMac

by The Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. October 23, 2012, 01:49 pm ET
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Apple is unveiling a new version of its iMac desktop computer that's one-fifth the thickness of the old model around the edges.

At 5 millimeters around the edges, the new iMac is thinner than most stand-alone computer monitors. It bulges in the back, however. Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller did not say how much.

The new model achieves its severe thinness in part by eliminating the optical disc drive. Apple has been leaving those drives out of its most recent laptop models as well.

An iMac model with a 21.5-inch screen will start shipping in November for $1,299 and up, Schiller said. A 27-inch version will start at $1,799.

Apple Slims Down IMac : NPR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
All I care about is how easy it is to remove the screen and replace the RAM. Optical drives are irrelevant these days for the most part, especially for a desktop machine. Just put an external on the side.

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
All I care about is how easy it is to remove the screen and replace the RAM. Optical drives are irrelevant these days for the most part, especially for a desktop machine. Just put an external on the side.

Doug

From what I've read…the new iMac's cover glass is "fully laminated to the LCD". Not sure what that means in terms of ram accessibility (maybe just harder to disassemble).

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From what I've read…the new iMac's cover glass is "fully laminated to the LCD". Not sure what that means in terms of ram accessibility (maybe just harder to disassemble).- Nick

Ram accessibility should still be easy. Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if they removed access to the Ram modules as it is now. As far as the cover glass being laminated to the LCD, that might actually make it easier to get inside of the machine to swap out the HD and so forth.

One the problems with the current iMac line is that once the glass is removed so the LCD panel can be removed, there's a good chance of dust and particles getting in between. I see the lamination as a good thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Why does Apple think I want an external drive floating around gathering dust on my desk with yet more wires. It's going to look more and more like an old PC any day soon What next - External RAM modules? Separate sound bar and speakers? Separate camera mounted on a bulldog clip atop the machine? SD card reader? (actually at least with that you could put it somewhere accessible). Sorry Apple, I was waiting for the new iMac before replacing my 2007 model but don't hold your breath for my cheque.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Why does Apple think I want an external drive floating around gathering dust on my desk with yet more wires. It's going to look more and more like an old PC any day soon What next - External RAM modules? Separate sound bar and speakers? Separate camera mounted on a bulldog clip atop the machine? SD card reader? (actually at least with that you could put it somewhere accessible). Sorry Apple, I was waiting for the new iMac before replacing my 2007 model but don't hold your breath for my cheque.

I have to agree with you there, removing an optical drive on a laptop is somewhat understandable, although I still wasn't too happy with the change, but removing it from a desktop is just another step in the wrong direction. An external USB Optical Dtive is far slower than any internal would ever be, and while FireWire is an option, those drives tend to run for a much higher price.

I really fear Apple is trying to move away from the professional marketplace as much as possible, and appeal to those who don't want the extra features, and just want a pretty appliance to sit on their desk so they can go on Facebook and Youtube occasionally.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Doug. I've used the optical drive on my 2011 iMac probably five times at the most. I keep an inexpensive external optical drive handy. Slot loading drives which have been favored by Apple for years are fragile and usually the first thing to go out.

Being able to easily remove the display as Doug points out is more important.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I could care less about the optical drive, but the 'ultimate thinness at any cost' is concerning. OK, I can see where thinness is a big deal in something that you lug around, but what does it matter on a desktop? If it's at the cost of expandability and/or repairability, well, no thanks.

I'm sure it'll sell like hotcakes, like most Apple products - people simply don't seem to care about longevity in computers anymore. What's scary to me is the message this sends Apple - I'd be most unhappy if all Apple products were sealed packages that couldn't be upgraded or repaired without softening up glue or using highly specialized tools.

Reaction score
Being able to easily remove the display as Doug points out is more important.[/QUOTE]

So, if there is no optical drive, how an you install some DVD app? Just online? Or it makes you go buy an external optical drive on top of buying the new computer!
Don't like this new lack of optical drive!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Being able to easily remove the display as Doug points out is more important.

So, if there is no optical drive, how an you install some DVD app? Just online? Or it makes you go buy an external optical drive on top of buying the new computer!
Don't like this new lack of optical drive!

Well, in fairness, USB optical drives are fairly cheap - and also less failure prone than the slot-loading drives in those few Macs that still have them. But the only reason I can see removing them from the iMac (and Mac Mini) is to pad their profit margins and make them more slim. Which frankly, in desktops, seems like an answer to a question that no one asked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the 21.5 model does not have upgradeable memory ... that sucks

see here no upgradeable memory

That's definitely a reason for me not buying another 21.5" iMac. I'm glad I have the last version that has upgradeable memory. If I have to purchase the 27" model in order to be able to upgrade memory, no thanks.

But, that's just me. As cwa107 just pointed out, it'll probably sell like hotcakes (to quote him). :p

Reaction score
That's definitely a reason for me not buying another 21.5" iMac. I'm glad I have the last version that has upgradeable memory. If I have to purchase the 27" model in order to be able to upgrade memory, no thanks.

But, that's just me. As cwa107 just pointed out, it'll probably sell like hotcakes (to quote him). :p

You are right, I will try to find an actual iMac (new) but able to upgrade memory and optical drive. There has to be several left in stock.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There has to be several left in stock.

If you want one, you had better hurry... I have a feeling the remaining older models are going to go rather quickly.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have not checked, can the 27" still be upgraded Memory wise?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the 27" model can be upgrade to 32 GB of memory. The 21.5" model can not be upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I haven't looked yet, just got home from work but.. is the RAM on the 21" soldered to the logic board? If not, there may not be a lot to cry about if you're really into modding. The base model starts with 8 gigs minimum, which IMO is really nice.. And if you need 16 or 32 because you're an graphic illustrator, photographer, videographer etc.. I'm going to venture a guess to say that a 27" would be better for you anyway.

Wait for iFixit.com to do a tear down.. then we'll see what's what. And sorry to sound so selfish but, I'm quite happy.. since I'll be getting a 27"!

As for the external dvd drive.. how often do you guys really use them, and for what? These days mostly all software/apps can be purchased online and are downloadable. Movies? The same. Storage? External HD's. For the very few times a year that one might need to use an DVD drive, just keep one in the closet or drawer until ready to use.

Doug

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We make our own recordings and distribute copies of them so my external drive gets a good workout every week. I wouldn't even think of using the one on the iMac or it would have been worn out already.

As far as the memory on the 21.5"... we don't know for sure but it's a good bet it's soldered to the logic board the same way it is on the Air or the Retina. They come standard with 8 GB but you can order 16 GB, but they don't say how much more that will be. Probably another $100, same as for the Retina.

Also, I believe the 21.5" models are higher priced than the last ones. I'll have to check to see what I paid for mine. Yep, I just checked, it's $100 more for the lowest priced model. Used to be $1199, now it's $1299.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Why does Apple think I want an external drive floating around gathering dust on my desk with yet more wires.

They aren't worried about what you want. They are worried about those of us who do want to be rid of that internal optical drive. I've used it exactly twice in 2 years. An SSD now resides in its place.

Doug, Anand of Anandtech just said in a hands on that the 21.5 does not have RAM door but has plug in RAM inside that can be upgrade but it's a lot of work. Just how much time will tell.

That is freakin' lame. They should have just left the form factor more or less alone and implemented the screen improvements. Making it thinner serves no purpose whatsoever, and just makes servicing it harder, apparently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.