What can I do?

Reaction score
Hey guise,
I've got a iBook G4 1.33GHZ 1GB ram.
Is there any way to host a MC server on it? What is it powerful enough to run, gaming and program wise?
Matt

C

chas_m

What you have is a lovely -- but screamingly obsolete -- 7-to-9-year-old computer.

It's going to be about as useful as any other computer that old. Which is to say you're going to be extremely limited on finding any new software that will work with it at all.

It's powerful enough to run software from five years ago and older.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
put linux on it, hang it up as wall art, donate it to charity. just some suggestions.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What's an MC server? I'm fairly well versed in the types of servers available but this one escapes me.

Regardless, I wouldn't count on having anything modern running on it if you stick with OS X. However, if you put Linux on it, you can breath some life into it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What's an MC server? I'm fairly well versed in the types of servers available but this one escapes me.

My guess is MineCraft? Though I've not see anyone shorten it to MC..I was going to say Midnight Commander..but that isn't a server..:)

I certainly wouldn't say that it's obsolete but it is old.

On the contrary..with the rapid progress in hardware/software, something that's within 5 year is old, but something that's nearing 10 years is essentially obsolete..

Reaction score
On the contrary..with the rapid progress in hardware/software, something that's within 5 year is old, but something that's nearing 10 years is essentially obsolete..

That's like saying older cars are obsolete..:|

A time will come when they will definitely be obsolete but that time hasn't come yet.. IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
C

chas_m

Might want to re-familiarise yourself with the actual meaning of obsolete (rather than the popular perception of the meaning).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.