Macbook pro and external screen view

Reaction score
Hi.

I have found out how to connect my external 24" samsung pc screen. But the problem is that when i drag the sites from my macbook and over to the pc screen it stays in the macbook resolution. So when i make ex. safari fitting the external screen it only shows in th emiddle of the screen. There is a lot of just white unused space in both sides of the monitor.

How do i fix this, so the programs and safari adapt to the bigger screen?

Thanks in advance. :)

sv.jpg

C

chas_m

System Preferences -> Displays.

If you are in Mountain Lion, change the setting to "scaled" and adjust for each monitor.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have done that. Some of the sites on the internet just don't show more than the middle you see on the picture. Is that normal? Or can i fix this somehow.

C

chas_m

If you are MIRRORing the display on your MacBook onto your TV (ie they are identical), then the MacBook is going to try and use ITS default resolution. What you want to do there is change the resolution to the same (or around the same) as the native resolution of your HDTV.

If you are extending the desktop (your Mac has one screen and your TV has a different one) you can adjust the TV's resolution on your Mac under Displays. In fact, both solutions require you to visit Displays under System Preferences, under "Arrangement."

OP
S
Reaction score
I am extending my desktop, so they have their own resolution. But still some of the internet sites look like in the picture, and i dont know how to stretch them. Some sites does look "normal" and fill out the whole monitor.

C

chas_m

Ah, I see what you're getting at. No, there's nothing you can do about that. The site was designed to be "x" number of pixels wide, and they probably set that a long time ago.

For example, my favourite news site MacNN is set for a little over 500px wide for their news column. You can read it on an old iBook G4 or on a new Retina MacBook Pro and it's going to be 550 or so pixels wide on either one. Deliberate design decision to accommodate those who may be accessing the site using lower resolution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.