Setting up Macbook Pro with TV and suggestions

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what I would need to set up my late 2011 Macbook Pro to my 32" in HD TV? I have the Mini-Display port to HDMI cable from Apple when I first got my computer for christmas and I was wondering if there was anything else I needed other than an HDMI cable?

I'm also thinking about either buying/waiting til christmas/buy one now and get one for christmas Apple's wireless keyboard and trackpad. Are they worth the $69 each or are there better options that are cheaper that are a better fit? Plus, will my Macbook work while closed so I don't have two displays up? Thanks guys!

C

chas_m

Personally I think you'd be better off spending the $99 on the Apple TV. You can mirror the MBP (and a lot more) to the HDTV, plus you get, you know, everything the Apple TV offers. Plus audio, which I doubt that HDMI cable is going to carry for you (unless you got one that specifically says it will).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All HDMI cables carry audio...

And a good HDMI cable can be bought for <$10 from Amazon - their own "Basics" Amazon branded cables are pretty good.

C

chas_m

I know all HDMI cables carry audio, but not all Macs have built-in HDMI ports, which means that the connector they are using might cause that issue.

In the case of a 2011 MBP, I know the MiniDisplayPort carries audio, BUT I was remembering that some models had MDPs that did NOT carry audio (in fact your own post in the "Mac to TV" sticky clarified that). I thought (mistakenly) that he might have one of the older models but I see that's not an issue. I just phrased myself poorly and misremembered the OP's equipment.

Carry on. :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Personally I think you'd be better off spending the $99 on the Apple TV. You can mirror the MBP (and a lot more) to the HDTV, plus you get, you know, everything the Apple TV offers. Plus audio, which I doubt that HDMI cable is going to carry for you (unless you got one that specifically says it will).

Heres the problem with Apple TV to me. Unless someone can explain that its way more than a Netflix player since thats what I feel like it is, its not for me since I'm not a movie person. Also, would you be so kind enough to give me your opinions on the Apples wireless keyboard and trackpad? I want to be able to sit/lay in bed and be a good distance from my computer and have a nice size screen and not strain my eyes so much sometimes at night and most of all, be comfortable while doing so. Are Apple's products worth the $69 a piece or would you recommend something else thats the same or better for the same price or less?

^Anyone else, please feel free to chime in on that as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes i believe that the Keyboard and Track pad are worth he money and if you get something like MagicWand - MagicWand - Twelve South you cant go wrong. I was looking at doing what you have done but found having my MBP with me in bed was the better solution for me. . .

C

chas_m

Heres the problem with Apple TV to me. Unless someone can explain that its way more than a Netflix player since thats what I feel like it is, its not for me since I'm not a movie person.

It does a great deal more than Netflix, but perhaps the main thing you would be using it for is WIRELESS mirroring of your Mac on to your HDTV. Maybe it's not of interest to you that it's wireless, but to me it beats wired by a country mile.

Also, would you be so kind enough to give me your opinions on the Apples wireless keyboard and trackpad?

Certainly. I absolutely love my Apple BT keyboard, but I can't see any particular reason why you could not use another company's BT Mac keyboard if you found one that you liked the feel of and was cheaper.

As for the mouse or trackpad, however, there is no substitute: Apple rules for BT IMO.

OP
J
Reaction score
It does a great deal more than Netflix, but perhaps the main thing you would be using it for is WIRELESS mirroring of your Mac on to your HDTV. Maybe it's not of interest to you that it's wireless, but to me it beats wired by a country mile.

I'll really have to sit on the tv thing since wireless really isn't a big deal to me since. I'm just not sure how much I really would use it since the only thing I can really see so far is YouTube since I'm too poor for any of the subscription based content lol. I think for now HDMI to Mini-Display connection will do just fine.

Certainly. I absolutely love my Apple BT keyboard, but I can't see any particular reason why you could not use another company's BT Mac keyboard if you found one that you liked the feel of and was cheaper.

As for the mouse or trackpad, however, there is no substitute: Apple rules for BT IMO.

Well, I guess theres my answer. I'll just drop the chunk of cash for the Apple products then since at least I know if something goes wrong, they can easily help me. Thanks so much.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes i believe that the Keyboard and Track pad are worth he money and if you get something like MagicWand - MagicWand - Twelve South you cant go wrong. I was looking at doing what you have done but found having my MBP with me in bed was the better solution for me. . .

Definitely going to pick this up as well. I honestly think you're kind of stupid if you don't unless you have some crazy need to have the board and pad separated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.