iTunes adding multiple CDs of an album?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have already asked my questions on MacRumors, and Apple discussions. I really have no idea at all how to figure this out by their info. I learn really slow. I mean slower then others.
I have the iPod Classic, and on my PC the latest version of iTunes.

1.) If I have a single disc meaning one CD in my playlist I created, how could I get those songs to play in the album order?

2.) If I have multi CDs, or a complete box set, and if I'm playing that box set on my iPod, but I don't want to have everything to play in random order. If I'm playing something that is multi disc like CD of 4, or 10 CDs, how could I have it automatically play the first CD, and then the after the first CD then it plays the second CD, and etc? Or unless I prefer to play a different CD? I'm not really getting how to do this. Will someone please help me in slow basic terms?

Also, off-topic: Does the iPod Classic handle gapless playback?

I appreciate it if someone could reply back!

Thank you,

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
On your Gapless playback question, the iPod Classic does support it if you setup iTunes to properly tag your music. Do so by following these these instructions.

As far as your CD playback question goes, I'll have to take a look at it tonight when I get home. I don't have iTunes or CD's loaded on my work computer..

OP
P
Reaction score
On your Gapless playback question, the iPod Classic does support it if you setup iTunes to properly tag your music. Do so by following these these instructions.

As far as your CD playback question goes, I'll have to take a look at it tonight when I get home. I don't have iTunes or CD's loaded on my work computer..

Thank you very much!

I know I have all my music stored on external hard drives. I say CD1, and CD2 is because sometimes the albums are split into multiple CDs.

May I ask what time zone are you in, and what time do you get off of work? That wasn't a question to push you any faster. I'm just curious for a rough estimate timeframe. I'm in EST. I am using a Windows desktop PC for my iTunes.

Thank you again!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm in EST as well (Mass)..I usually don't get on the computer at home till like 8 or later..hopefully other members will chime in too..

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you, and your right hopefully someone will chime in. I'm in Pennsylvania. If not, I could wait until tonight. Well, I take pills that puts me out cold, so I'll be up at 8, and I'm not sure how late. Sometimes I can't sleep. I could always respond later if I don't see you replies.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'll share what I did. I'm not sure if its right? In the mean time I'll wait for your reply, or someone. If someone doesn't jump in, I hope you are still willing to help me?

I have a box set, and the whole box is 162 songs in total, and its 10 CDs. I highlight the songs that belong to my first CD, and right click and get info. I fill in the track number for 1 of 162, and the disc number is 1 of 10, and also I checked off both boxes for the track number and disc number for this whole time then I went OK, then get info again then track number was 2 of 162, and disc number is the same because I want it to be my first disc, so the only thing I did was check both boxes for disc number, and etc.

I'm not sure if it was the right way?

C

chas_m

To answer your first question: first make sure the files are tagged with the track number. You can do this by selecting a track and pressing command-i (or use File->Get Info, same thing) and add the track number yourself.

One that's done tracks should play in track order, but if we're talking about a playlist you created then you simply drag them into the order you want.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey chas,

Yes, it's a playlist I created under my iPod name. I normally drag the album folder directly to that playlist, and then it shows up with a complete list of songs in my playlist. Was I doing this right to begging with? Also, I wasn't aware that I could organize my folders and/or songs by doing a drag and drop.

C

chas_m

You can organize a *playlist* by dragging songs around to the order you want. Doesn't apply to the music library in iTunes itself.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I'm tired, so I'm done with my iPod for tonight. I have tons and tons and of albums by the Grateful Dead which is pretty much the complete discography, so I believe for every album I put on my iPod I would need to turn on yes for gapless album on every album? It's only a guess.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey chas,

The problem was some of my music was in FLAC, and APE format. When I encoded it to MP3, or another format iTunes handles, I didn't tag it properly, so my encodes was out of order. I dragged the folder over, and it shows the tracks was out of order in iTunes. I don't know how to tag to fix it, so I dragged one by one individual songs into iTunes, and it fixed the order. That's what I did.

Also, with my last question above, am I right that I would need to turn on gapless album on every album I add to my iPod with the music type I said?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.