Mail

Reaction score
My wife and I have separate user accounts but share the same email address within mail.
Why can I view new mail in my account and my wife not? Do I need to make any rules so that we both recieve the same mail, even if one user has already picked up the messages. Please try and keep your solutions simple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
As far as I know, whenever a message is read it no longer appears as new. Mail just fetches messages from Gmail or Yahoo or wherever you have your email account. If you used the webmail version, say Gmail, and you had one new message, you would read it and it would then be "read" not "new". This translates when Apple Mail checks for new messages. If you read the message first, it's then marked as read Gmail. When your wife uses Mail to fetch messages from Gmail, obviously the message is read and no longer new, so it won't show up in Mail as new either.

This is my guess. Maybe there's a workaround for it that someone else can recommend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You can mark it as "unread" after viewing it so it appears as unread later when your wife checks the inbox.

C

chas_m

Really this is not a tenable solution. She needs her own email account. How else is she ever going to plan your surprise birthday party? :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.