Removing pictures from iPhoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 2 gigs RAM, 160 gig H.D.
Hi,
I wondered if someone knows how I can remove my photos from iPhoto and put them onto an external hard drive.
I want the photos ONLY, without the folders and filing system.
The reason being I want to put all the pictures onto a PC and don't want to have to dig around through all the iPhoto folders.
Anyone know how this can be done?
Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't use iPhoto, but you should be able to drag and drop. Then delete the images. If you have a lot of images, I know that would take a long time. Hopefully someone else will come along with a better answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
If you're on iPhoto 4 or higher…

I think that you could just click on the "Photos" item on the menu bar.

Then click "Export", choose the External HD and folder that you want.

You have to be in your Library with no pictures selected to get all of your Library though, otherwise it would just export the one you have selected.

OP
Dark Matter
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 2 gigs RAM, 160 gig H.D.
Thanks for the replies, Guys.
I tried selecting all, then copying and pasting the entire photo library onto a folder on the external hard drive, but it would always end up stopping 99% of the way through the copy process saying a certain file was "in use" (even though the photo file that would stop it didn't appear to exist)and then stop the whole process.
Using export I'd end up with the whole iPhoto filing system.
What I ended up doing was downloading a 3rd party photo viewer off of the internet, viewing the all the pics in that application, and cutting and pasting from there.

P

photon

Bit late for reply seeing you have done it already via cut n paste, and hate to think of your perseverance and patience with this solution.

Simple solution is to search for the 'iPhoto Library' and all the original images will be stored there in various folders based on year, month, day etc.
Simply select all pics from each descending folder and drop to your destination volume/media. You could even copy folders as reference for date
Note that folders may also contains 'thumbs' folder
You should ignore this in selection if just for originals or include it for use in web pages or cataloguing - seeing it has already been provided.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.