Windows on Mac

Reaction score
I have had a Macbook Pro for 1 week and am in love! First Mac after a lifetime of PCs. I am now using it for everything . . . except - there's one program I use for work that ONLY works with windows. I need to buy a version of windows to bespoil my beautiful Mac. Obviously XP is cheaper than Vista which is cheaper than 7. Does it make any difference which one I put on the Mac? Anyone any experience of putting windows onto Macbook?

I can see I am going to be a regular here; for a newbie the advice I've already found has been incredibly helpful. Congratulations to all concerned.

Thanks for any advice on my particular issue . . .

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this a new MBP? If you want to use Windows Via Bootcamp so it's running natively and are running 10.8 Mountain Lion, you need Windows 7.

OP
G
Reaction score
It's a brand new Mac with latest software. Sorry, I'm a novice and don't understand the terms . . . the way I've seen it done is that once windows is loaded, when I start up the Mac, I hold the Alt(?) key and have the choice of going into windows or MacOS. I'd never want both systems running together. To work in this way, would I need Windows 7?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes.

The drivers are no longer provided for XP nor Vista on the new Macs by BootCamp.

OP
G
Reaction score
Shucks! Most expensive option it is then - I've saved £60 on Vista so I can spend £90 on Windows 7!

Thank you so much for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
But if its just one program, and its not a game, you can use programs like VirtualBox to run XP in a window

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
But if its just one program, and its not a game, you can use programs like VirtualBox to run XP in a window

Agree - or you can use WINE or CrossOver and skip Windows altogether.

groovedane, louishen pointed you to the "Running Windows on a Mac: A Switcher's Guide" article earlier. I HIGHLY recommend you read this guide before you plunk down any more of your hard-earned money. Boot Camp is not always the best option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.