I can't Shutdown

Reaction score
For some reason, when I try to shut down, my iMac tells me that I have apps that need to be Force Quit, including Finder.

So when I quit everything, including Finder, I have no menu. Hence I can't shut down. But if I open Finder to get the menu, it tells me to quit Finder.

And endless loop. So I turn off my computer the old fashioned way, with the button in the back. yuck!

Any ideas!
thanks

C

chas_m

Since it's impossible to quit the Finder, I suspect you are mistaken in your impression that you have quit all programs. Clicking on the "red dot" in the upper left corner of a program does not necessarily quit the program.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, if you make it a habit to forcibly power down your machine, you are likely exacerbating an underlying problem.

Before you do anything else, open Disk Utility and select 'Macintosh HD' in the left pane. Then select the 'First Aid' tab. Be sure to run Verify/Repair Permissions and Verify/Repair Disk.

OP
C
Reaction score
Verifying and doing Repair Permissions was a good idea. It had never been done. Ran for quite a while and some unrepairable errors were noted: SUID File "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired".

Don't know what this means. Do I need the OnyX tool?

Still can't shut down properly either by the way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do I need the OnyX tool?

Still can't shut down properly either by the way.

Running Onyx was suggested earlier. If you don't try everything that is suggested…then how can the "no shutdown" issue be resolved?

We take this one step at a time…crossing things off the list as we go.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.