Spyware and Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
All of the above are written to exploit or take advantage of the Windows Operating System. Because the Mac platform is not based on Windows, it's based on UNIX, the afflictions mentioned will not hurt the system.

OP
J

jn4jenny

baggss said:
All of the above are written to exploit or take advantage of the Windows Operating System. Because the Mac platform is not based on Windows, it's based on UNIX, the afflictions mentioned will not hurt the system.

That just about covers it from the Mac standpoint, but do your Windows-use buddies a favor and download ClamXav, especially if you're planning to use Limewire or other stuff that's prone to come with spyware and viruses. Your Mac can't get infected by that stuff, but you could theoretically pass it on to your Windows friends if you send them an infected file. So as a favor to them, you might still want to scan your incoming and outgoing files. www.clamxav.com

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
jn4jenny said:
That just about covers it from the Mac standpoint, but do your Windows-use buddies a favor and download ClamXav, especially if you're planning to use Limewire or other stuff that's prone to come with spyware and viruses. Your Mac can't get infected by that stuff, but you could theoretically pass it on to your Windows friends if you send them an infected file. So as a favor to them, you might still want to scan your incoming and outgoing files. www.clamxav.com
Sounds good to me, I keep forgetting about my Winderz buddies. Thanks for the reminder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's about the only reason I keep Norton Installed and somewhat up to date on my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
baggss said:
That's about the only reason I keep Norton Installed and somewhat up to date on my Mac.

Quoted article from: MacFixIt

"Highly critical" Flaw in discovered in Symantec AntiVirus

Secure OS X reports on a "highly critical" flaw that has been discovered in Symantec's AntiVirus software for Mac OS X.

The vulnerability occurs when AntiVirus is decompressing files compressed in the RAR format for scanning. When AntiVirus is performing this operation, it is susceptible to to multiple heap overflows allowing attackers complete control of the system(s) being protected.

Sometimes the antivirus software does the opposite of what it claims!

Pierre

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another reason to stay away from RAR files....

Actually, mine is set up to only scan my e-mail...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
no RAR files are great! its another reason to stay away from Symantec and the rubbish they make

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had little luck working with RAR files as of late, so I am not very impressed with them.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
if you go into the Apple store, all the Mac Geninus' and the sales people all DONT recommend buying Antivirus, cause of mac OS being so secure and non-effective. So another reason why Macs are Da BOMBBB

Reaction score
I'm another long time PC/Windows user that will be joining the Mac Family with a new Intel Based iMac. I think it's probably more accurate to say that MacOS, Linux, Unix, etc. are "Less Prone" to viruses, spyware and the like, than that they are immune to them. I don't agree with that statement. The slimeballs that write that crap, do it on Windows for a few reasons

1) There's a lot of windows systems out there
2) Windows has more holes than a screen door from a security standpoint
3) There's a ton of info and tools for writing software for windows, and it's pretty easy to write something that can do damage. It's not so easy for the "Script Kiddies" to do stuff on Linux/Unix, you have to actually know what you are doing and have the proper tools. I'm assuming MacOS programming is probably just as hard to program since it's based on Unix.

MacOS, Linux/Unix have enjoyed a world relatively free from all that junk because these OS's have not been in the spotlight like Windows has.

Remember, these scumbags that write this stuff, get their jollies harming others and want to see their handywork in the news, or in the case of Spyware, they want to sell their creations to advertisers that have no sense of ethics or decency.

As long as a computer can be programmed, there is always risk. I'm thrilled that much of this crap doesn't happen on the Macs right now, I just hope that it stays that way.

My assumption is, that it would never get out of hand on the MacOS or Linux...I hope I'm right about that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.