Mac Air Shut Down when using Skype

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Mac Air, my first Apple product and am still very much on the learning curve.

On several occasions recently, when talking on skype, the computer shut down. Someone suggested that it was becasue I had an old version of skype. I uploaded the newest version but had the same result.

Any advice or same situations? Thanks very much for any help offered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
I'd check the operating temperature of the computer while you are in a call on skype. The only thing I can think of (and I'm new to mac's) is that it's overheating while you are in a call. I've had an old Acer laptop shut off while I watched youtube videos or did anything with flash or video for more than 2 or 3 minutes. It was overheating and as a safety mechanism it shut off.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does it shutdown with any warning or none at all? Does it happen on battery or when you are plugged in? What version of OS X are you running? Does it only happen with Skype?

C

chas_m

Perhaps when you are using Skype you are sitting with the laptop in such a way as to block the airflow? If so, that would explain it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.