Help with iOS app icons

Reaction score
I have some questions regarding how to save icon images for use in iOS apps.

I am designing the vector images in Illustrator, then copying them into Photoshop and saving for web/devices as .png files. Here is what I'm not clear on:

1. So, for an iOS app icon for example, Apple specifies one of the sizes as 114x114. When I create the new Photoshop document into which I will paste the vector file, do I need to enter 114x114 at 326ppi or just leave it at 72ppi? I have asked various developers and always get different answers.

2. Do I need to create my new Photoshop document into which I will paste the vector file larger than my largest bucket? Some sites I have read suggest this. So, if my largest bucket is 512x512 for itunes, do I need to start with a document that is bigger than that? If so, by what multiple? Double--so 1024x1024 in this case? Or can I just create the file at the exact size as the largest bucket (512x512).

3. I was told that I can simply save the largest file down to create the icons for the smaller buckets. So, if I have my image for the largest bucket as 512x512, I can then just change the image size to 114x114 and then save for web as my .png? Is this correct, or should I create individual vector and photoshop files for each bucket?

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
AS for the dpi, it does not matter, its the pixel size that matters, not the resolution

I dont know about iOS icons but you can have one photoshop document at 512x512 and save versions using save for web and adjust any smaller sizes from within the save for web dialogue

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.