Mac Cleanup programs

Reaction score
Is MacKeeper a good program to clean up my Macbook Pro and optimize its performance?

Are there better options?

C

chas_m

a. NO! FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY NOOOOOOOOOO!

b. Yes. OnyX is the most recommended. Keep in mind that cleanup is not REALLY necessary, but we compulsive types like to do it periodically anyway as preventive maintenance.

Reaction score
Mac Cleanup Programs

I've always been a fan of Ccleanup for windows and just downloaded the "free" mac version to my macbook pro seem's to be doing a good job so far, anyone else using this program with success?
Regards
Suave

C

chas_m

I haven't looked into CCleaner too deeply, but it does seem like a legitimate product. There are a number of "cleaners" that either:

a. Charge money for built-in system functions
b. Are ineffective
c. Or are even harmful (MacKeeper is a good example of this category)

There are a lot of options in this category out there, but stick with the ones recommended by real users (like the members of this forum) if you're worried about getting ripped off or not getting something effective.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do not equate the free CCCleaner for Mac with the same program for Windows. The Windows program works well, however, we have received several reports from users of the Mac version that it inadvertently "cleaned" items that caused OS X to have to be reinstalled. Use caution! My recommendation is not to use it at all. Instead download and use the free OnyX program which works well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Been using Onyx here for many years and never once had any issues. Highly recommended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
+ one more for Onyx. Make sure you get the right version for your OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.