migration from pc

Reaction score
Hi, I just got a new imac yesterday. Its a 2.5ghz 21.5 iMac. I migrated my files from my awful dell vista laptop and seem to have created a separate account. I have the initial account which I started up yesterday and now another account with my pictures and itunes library on. What should I do to combine the 2?

C

chas_m

Nothing.

Sign into the new account, give it admin privileges. Rename it (using these instructions -- very important!) if you need to.

Once that's done, delete your original account and just use the new imported one as your default.

Edit: DOH! Sorry about that ...

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3872

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, you forgot the URL to the Renaming instructions.

OP
A
Reaction score
I deleted the old account. I am slowly figuring this os out. It seems to make more sense, just a bit of a learning curve. Using itunes with my iphone is better, iphoto is better and seamless at importing photos than picasa on my old vista machine, I had 6 gigs of photos on my phone that I couldn't move because the videos werent recognized.

I neglected to say that I bought time capsule with my machine and have had it going since I started the machine up on friday. I don't really understand how I am supposed to use it. It is running and I can see my backups, I just don't understand how to access them. Will the fact that I deleted the original account and am using another account be a problem with time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can access your backups using the Time Machine app on your mac.

It would have backed up your old account, but will also now be backing up changes to your new account (and any further accounts you may or may not be setting up)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.