Help

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents,

I am in a dilemma. I am hoping someone out there is an excellent Apple tech guru. I recently bought a used Imac which was originally purchased back in '08. I've never had an Apple other than just ipods. My dilemma is that I am currently enrolled in school trying to finish my degree through online. The issue is that I am unable to get to the dang website. I've already went through the preferences and yet, I still can't find out what may be the issue. I have 'til tomorrow to "officially" do my first week's assignment or else I'll be dropped. Can someone please help me out. I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This doesn't sound like an Apple or Macintosh issue…this sounds like a accessibility issue. Meaning…it sounds to me that there is some sort of sign in procedure that must be followed to sign into the website you need to access…and that the school or professor needs to be contacted about the specifics.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Does the site/course requirements list a specific OS/browser combination? A site that I must use for work for example requires Windows and Internet Explorer. When I am n=on my Mac and need to access the site I use a virtual machine running Windows XP.

There are some things that might work without running Windows dull time. I suggest trying the following:

1. If you are using Safari open Preference go to Advanced and enable the Develop menu. When the Develop menu appears go to User Agent and choose one of the versions of IE and test your site.

2. Option two is to use something like CrossOver Runs Windows on Mac and Linux, easily and affordably to set up a virtual machine. This would allow you to run Windows and IE. It dod not work in my case but has for some.

3. Use either Fusion or Parallels to set up a virtual machine.machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the site/course requirements list a specific OS/browser combination? A site that I must use for work for example requires Windows and Internet Explorer. When I am n=on my Mac and need to access the site I use a virtual machine running Windows XP.

Great point!:) Some places (universities, corporations, etc.) are still living in the "dark ages" of the 1990's (in terms of the internet)…and still not making allowances for folks using Macintosh computers & Mac browsers!

Maybe…maybe not the issue here…but always a possibility.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the URL of the site?

OP
S
Reaction score
This doesn't sound like an Apple or Macintosh issue…this sounds like a accessibility issue. Meaning…it sounds to me that there is some sort of sign in procedure that must be followed to sign into the website you need to access…and that the school or professor needs to be contacted about the specifics.

- Nick

I've already contacted the professor. All in all, she pretty much said " It sucks for you; " in kinder words.....

OP
S
Reaction score

There are some things that might work without running Windows dull time. I suggest trying the following:

1. If you are using Safari open Preference go to Advanced and enable the Develop menu. When the Develop menu appears go to User Agent and choose one of the versions of IE and test your site.

2. Option two is to use something like CrossOver Runs Windows on Mac and Linux, easily and affordably to set up a virtual machine. This would allow you to run Windows and IE. It dod not work in my case but has for some.

3. Use either Fusion or Parallels to set up a virtual machine.machine.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully it helps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the issue you can not log in to the site?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've already contacted the professor. All in all, she pretty much said " It sucks for you; " in kinder words.....

Hmmm…that's not very helpful!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.